Chapter Ten

Erick and Liam arrive at Carter's house after school, giving her the impression that they were all going to work on the group project for their history class.

     "What do you mean you finished it already? There were still 13 questions left. Plus the power-point." Carter says annoyed.

     "Yeah, we figured if we finished it, we could do something else." Liam says

     "But that's not fair, you did all the work." Carter says, crossing her arms over her chest.

     "If it meant spending more time with our girl, it was worth it." Erick says, smiling at her.

     Carter rolls her eyes, and eventually just accepts what they did, giving them a small sigh followed by a smile.

     "And don't worry, I double-checked the spelling." Liam laughs, teasing Erick.

     "One time! That happened one time!" Erick yells

***

     The three friends spend the afternoon talking gossip, school, and favorite things. Carter laughed, and she smiled. They recalled old memories, memories of her favorite days.

     Liam and Erick even let Carter pick out a movie, knowing what she was going to pick. She picked her favorite movie of the year, 'Divergent'.

      "I bet you know this movie by heart." Erick teases her.

     "Duh." she laughs. She's leaning on Liam's chest and her legs rested over Erick's lap. The way they'd always watch movies.

     "Thanks for coming over." she says softly to them.

      "We miss you. We all do." Liam says, moving her hair behind her ear.

     "We just want to make sure you're okay. We worry about you." Erick says, rubbing her calf.

     Carter sits up and faces Liam. She places her hands on both sides of his face, pulling him close to her, "I'm okay." she says, looking into his eyes. She turns and does the same to Erick, "I promise."

      But her eyes looked tired, drained. The light they had always seen in her was fading.

     Erick nods his head, and she lays back down how she was and returns her attention to the movie.

     After a while, the movie was over, and neither Liam nor Erick noticed that Carter had fallen asleep. While trying to move her without waking her up, Carter's mom walks in. She was watching what was happening in the living room. Tears began to roll down her face as she watched Carter's friends be gentle with her.

     Erick swoops Carter up and takes her up to her room. Laying her in her bed and covering her up. Liam took off the movie and cleaned up the living room. That's when he notices Katherine hanging up her stuff in the hallway.

     "Oh, hey Mrs. K." he says, approaching her.

     Katherine quickly wipes her tears before turning to face him. "Liam, hi. How are you? It's so good to see you!" she says, pulling him in for a hug.

      Erick came down the stairs, seeing her as well.

     "Oh, Erick. Long time no see." she says, hugging him too.

     "How are things, Mrs. K?" Erick asks her

     "Going well, thank you." she answers

      "We were just on our way out." Liam says

     "Listen, boys, I wanted to thank you so much for always being there for Carter. And for making her feel so loved and cared for. The love she has for you all is like no other." Katherine says