Chapter Eight

Carter finally begins to wake up the next day, at least she hopes it's only been a few hours. She groans as her head pounds and the sunlight peers through the trees above her.

     She sits herself up, looking down to see she is covered in mud. Her shirt was unbuttoned, she tried to button it back up but quite a few of the buttons were missing.

     As Carter works on her shirt, she notices she has bruises on her arms. Instant flashbacks of what happened the night before pop into her mind. Tears began to roll down her face as she put the pieces together. Damon roofied her drink and tried to rape her.

     Pure horror takes over, shame, guilt. How could this happen? It was supposed to be a fun night. A romantic dinner ending in a nightmare.

     She feels something in her boot as she pulls her knees to her chest. Hoping it wasn't a bug, she sticks her hand down her boot and pulls out her phone and some cash. Thankfully her phone turns on, checking that the date is Saturday, 2 pm, it's only been a couple of hours.

     She opens her camera to take a look at herself. She has mud in her hair and all over her clothes. Bruises on her shoulders and neck from Damon gripping her so tightly. Her eyes were red and puffy.

     She has one text message from her mom from yesterday night, "I'm working a double. I'll see you on Sunday. I love you." the text read.

     Carter gets up, dusts off any dirt, and takes note of the no-service signal on her phone. She has no idea where she is, so she begins walking until she can at least get one bar of service to use her maps app to find her way home.

     After a while, she finally gets one bar, and quite a few messages come flooding in from last night. Some from her friends, but a lot more from Damon. She stopped walking so she could read them.

     "Come back" -Damon 10:49 pm

     "I'll take you home" -Damon 10:50 pm

     "Let me explain" -Damon 10:50 pm

     "Hello?" -Damon 10:58 pm

     "Carter answer me." -Damon 11:02 pm

     "NOW" -Damon 11:04 pm

     "You know what? Fine. Even if you ever do decide to tell someone about last night, which we both know you won't, no one will believe you." -Damon 11:15 pm

     "A lot of girls would kill to be with me. I was doing you a favor." -Damon 11:16 pm

     "Whatever. Fuck you." -Damon 11:40 pm

     "How's it going?" -Samantha 9:00 pm

     "I need details!" -Samantha 9:01 pm

     "Hope you're having fun! Your silence must be a good sign!" -Maria 8:33 pm

     "I figured you'd text us by now begging us to rescue you. Must be going well." -Erick 9:29 pm

     "You're so lucky! He's drop-dead gorgeous!" -Liam 10:07 pm

     "Everything going okay?" -Charlie 8:52 pm

     "Hey" -Charlie 9:39 pm

     "Carter" -Charlie 10:04 pm

     "Can you just text me to let me know you made it home safely?" -Charlie 12:27 am

     After reading all the texts, she opens her maps and sees she's only 20 minutes walking distance from the main road.

     She should be home within the hour, depending on her pace. Carter starts walking and an hour and 15 minutes later, she finally sees her house.

     Carter runs inside before any of her neighbors see the way she looks. Once inside, she slams the door and locks it, making a beeline for her bedroom. She strips down to nothing, leaving her dirty, wet clothes in a pile on the floor, and locks herself in the bathroom. She fills the tub with warm water, letting herself sink to the bottom.

     She's numb. She can feel the strong urge to cry but doesn't. It's almost as if someone turned her off, and made her still. And she didn't mind it, she needed the quiet.