25.

────────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹────────

"They're taking it really well." JJ said sarcastically while watching the family of three fight in the distance.

Lucy and Pope hummed in agreement. "How'd you get this rig?" JJ asked, "I know your old man didn't let you have it."

"I undid the intake valves on the carburetor. Made it start pinging." Pope responded.

"And now you're just gonna take it to your cousin Jeff's house." JJ planned out, "Just gonna get it fixed. Crash overnight."

"My name is Jeff." Lucy muttered cause them to look at her. She looked up seeing their expression, "What? It was the perfect opportunity for a vine reference."

"I think I'm rubbing off on you Pope." JJ stated with a smirk, "Lying to your old man, stealing his truck- kinda sounds familiar."

Lucy looked down at her hands. She fiddle with them as silence filled the car. "All right, that's a sore subject my bad." JJ held his hands up in surrender.

"I'd say we have about 18 hours before he absolutely loses his shit." Pope stated. "So as long as we get it back before then I think we're good."

Lucy stared at the three family members fighting, "Maybe I shouldn't tell my mom." She stated, fearful of her reaction.

"Yeah that would probably be the smarter choice." JJ replied.

"OH MY GOD! BOARDING SCHOOL?" They looked towards the house again seeing Kie screaming at her parents.

"It's just an option-,"

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!" Kie yelled walking down the steps to get back to her friends.

"It could broaden your horizons baby, get you out of OBX!"

"I'm not going to boarding school!" Kie yelled. Lucy hopped out of the car, going to Kie's side.

Kie latched on to her arm and Lucy could feel the pain and frustration radiating off of her friend.

"It would give you structure Kiara!" Her dad yelled.

"They're not my people!" Kie yelled.

"Look at your life right now!" Her dad yelled with anger, "Look at your life!"

"It's good to see y'all Mr. and Mrs. Carrera!" JJ greeted with a smile as Lucy lead Kie to the car.

"Hi Uh- ma'am- sir- I promise to have her back at a reasonable hour and safe." Pope told them.

"What are you doing?" Kie asked him.

"Kiara, listen to me." Anna started, "You wanna go, then you can go. But if you don't come back at the proper time then do come back at all!"

"She's bluffin." JJ reassured Kie. Lucy rubbed her arm seeing pain in the girls eyes.

"Y'all have a good day!" JJ waved.

They all got into the car, JJ squeezing in next to Lucy . "Damn maybe we shouldn't of taken a truck it's tight in here." JJ said.

"I offered to take my car." Lucy said, "Ow JJ you're leg is pinching my thigh!"

"How is my leg pinching your thigh?"

"It's caught between your leg and the seat! Get off!"

She pushed him, the boy moved as much as he could over.

"This shit would be so easier without parents." Kie muttered.

They drove to the ferry in silence, Lucy's and JJ's hands brushing each other's everything there was a bump.