31

────────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹────────

"Friends." Pope repeated to Kie, his heart shattering into a million pieces, "Sounds good."

Kie smiled sadly to him, and Pope looked into her eyes, making her quickly look away. He furred his eyebrows, as he realized it wasn't just him.

"This isn't the only reason. Is it?" He asked, "You just wanting us to be friends? There's something else."

Kie's face dropped, "I- I don't know what you're talk- talking about."

"Is it one of the Pogues?" Pope assumed, his thoughts racing.

"No!" Kie defended.

"Kie?" Pope questioned, seeing her uncomfortable state. He wasn't trying to push, but he wanted to know. It seemed like she had been hiding something from him for awhile, even before they started 'dating'.

She looked up to him, and just stayed quiet.

Well, that answered his question. He nodded, "Is it JJ?" He asked.

"No. Never in a million years. JJ is- JJ." Kie answered almost immediately.

"So," Pope gulped, "John B,"

"No!" Kie exclaimed again, "Not John B! She's-,"

She immediately stopped herself, inhaling sharply as she realized she said that.

Pope eyebrows scrunched. And then, as if magic. All the pieces started to fall into place.

How Kie was so overprotective of her.

How upset she was whenever they got into the littlest fights.

The times when all Kie talked about was her. Especially when she was gone.

It was her. It was always her.

"Oh." Pope replied, barley above of whisper. 

Kie just stared at him, waiting for a bigger reaction.

"Kie," Pope started only to be cut off by JJ who was running towards them.

"Something happened to Heyward."

────────⊹⊱✫⊰⊹────────

"Let me know if I'm hurting you." Lucy said to Heyward as she cleaned up his wound.

As soon as JJ told them everyone got into the car, speeding to Pope's dad. They all felt like they were going to throw up, hoping that the man who they all considered a father figure was ok.

They got there, seeing him. He had a nasty cut on his head, but other than that he was okay.

"You're doing just fine." Pope's father reassured her. "You know, you should go into the medical field like your mother."

Lucy smiled lightly, the last events with her mother flashing through her head making the smile fade quickly.

She finished putting the band on his forehead. "Thank you darlin',"

"Pop what happened?" Pope asked.

"Oh I should've known better." Heyward said, "He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise."