o n e - y e a r - a g o | o n e

~ 𝐀𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐚 ~

The ship shook aggressively, making Amara clutch onto her safety straps a little tighter. Hank and Moira were flying the plane over to Cairo, and she sat silently next to Jean, trying to keep herself in check.

Amara had never been on a mission before, and she didn't know if this was a good place to start. Sure, she didn't exactly have a choice, since one second she was in her room, the next she was standing outside the X-Mansion that was literally blowing up, and only a minute later she was kidnapped and put in a cell that deprived her of her powers.

But still. This was a lot to handle for someone as inexperienced out in the field (and frightened of her powers) as she was.

Her eyes glanced up to the boy sitting across from her.

She couldn't lie... he was cute. His silver locks shimmered in the light whenever he moved his head, his jawline was sharp, his freckles were gentle, and the flight suit that hugged his body told Amara he had a good build to him.

She had never seen this boy around the X-Mansion, but he looked like he was her age.

He chuckled at something Scott said, letting his smile show through and entrance her unknowingly. She liked his smile. It was the kind of smile that made anyone that saw it want to smile, too.

Her fingers fiddled with her rings to try calming her racing heart, and she swallowed thickly, letting her gaze move back up to his eyes.

She froze when she realized he was already looking at her. He grinned and gave her a little wink.

Instantly, Amara's cheeks reddened, and she looked down into her lap. Hopefully he didn't think she was staring.

Well, she was staring. But... hopefully he didn't think she was being creepy about it.

Shit. She was screwed.

"Hey," Jean whispered.

Amara glanced up at her timidly.

"You okay, Aya?"

Her head nodded, but barely. She was too scared of what would happen if she spoke.

"Aya?"

Her eyes widened as she recognized that voice to match the boy she was staring at, and she didn't dare look up.

"Is that your name?"

She was stuck. Why did she clam up so much around people? Actually, it wasn't all people. This boy was just gorgeous. She couldn't speak to him - that was insane.

"She's not much of a talker," Jean chuckled, giving him an apologetic glance. "Don't worry, it's not you."

Of course it was him. And Jean knew it was him, too. She had to remember to thank Jean later for not embarrassing her any further than she already felt.

"Oh," the boy chuckled. "Well... I think Aya's a pretty name."

She didn't. She hated it. 

Why was she suddenly feeling herself like it more?

"I'm Peter, by the way."

Amara gulped and chanced another look up at him. When her gaze met with his deep, brown eyes, she involuntarily inhaled sharply, and he smiled gently and cocked his head to the side.

Was he... teasing her? What was he doing?

He blew a little bubble with his gum and grinned, and her cheeks reddened again.

Peter. His name was Peter.

*****

w/c: 542

a/n: sorry guys, i know this chapter is a little shorter, but it certainly raised a lot of questions, didn't it? please don't forget to vote, comment, and share if you enjoyed!! xx