t w e n t y - e i g h t

~ 𝐀𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐚 ~

Amara inhaled deeply, the old, dusty smell of the house filling her nose as she blinked her eyes open. She was met with the sleeping figure of Peter, who had his head resting on his arm and one of the lumpy pillows while his slow, deep breathing moved his chest up and down.

Her hand moved on its own accord. She delicately brushed the little strands of hair covering his face away from his eyes and tucked them behind his ear. His cheekbones were soft against the tips of her fingers, as was his jaw, the curve of his lips, and the skin of his neck.

She scooched in closer to the arm that was lying between the two of them, her one arm wrapping around it to feel his warmth while she let the other continue to draw slow patterns across his skin.

You can't lie. He really is a specimen, Kahuna.

Amara rolled her eyes, her gentle laugh escaping through her nose.

"Yes," she whispered. "He's very cute."

Oh please, he's much more than that-

"I know."

She cuddled a little closer into his warmth, his breath hitting the skin of her arm while a small frown etched onto her face.

"What's... what's wrong with him?" she murmured, her voice still hushed so as to not disturb him. "Why isn't his mutation working?"

It's that disgusting thing those vermins injected you with, It answered, It's voice dripping with malice. There are two parts to it - an injection into the bloodstream, and a chip they've put in your head.

"A chip?"

We're too strong for it to contain our power - we have a mind that can work inside and challenge it until it no longer works. We can also discharge the injection - it's why you were dripping the black sludge.

Amara swallowed thickly. She supposed that made sense.

The Shadow was a second, much more powerful consciousness that worked in ways Remedy would never be able to understand, no matter how many tests they did on her. Peter didn't have that.

"What about him?" she asked. "Can we help him?"

It took a minute to respond.

We can.

"But... it'll hurt?"

Yes, Kahuna.

She sighed. Of course it would.

It will wear off eventually. Their solution wasn't as permanent as they hoped it to be.

Her eyebrows raised. "How long will it take for it to disappear? Until he gets it back?"

I... I don't know.

"But he will get it back?"

In time, Kahuna. Yes.

She nodded.

Her gaze trailed over his cheekbones and up to his closed eyes, where his eyelashes brushed against his cheekbones and his freckles decorated his skin. Small tears pricked her own eyes.

She knew how much Peter's mutation meant to him; it wasn't something he loathed like she did. His mutation was what made him Peter Maximoff. Quick, witty, charming Peter Maximoff. Even a brief glance at him would tell anyone that he wanted his mutation back. She supposed that anyone with superspeed would.

Her saliva was thick in her throat. "I... I don't want to hurt him."

It paused for a moment. Does that mean he's coming with us?

Amara sniffled and wiped at her face. "No."

She did her best to control her breathing as a tear slipped down her cheek and fell onto the bed. Her other hand continued to trace his skin, desperate for the touch she'd probably never get to feel again.

"No, he's not coming with us."

It sighed. But you heard what he said, and you said you didn't want to hurt him. It sounds like leaving him will hurt him.

"He'll get over it."

But... what about you? Don't you want him?

Her eyes slipped shut.

"More than anything," she whispered, her voice cracking slightly. "But it doesn't matter if I want him. He's not safe with me."

Don't you like him?

"No," she answered immediately. "No, I don't like him. I hate him."

Why?

Amara's chin quivered. She inhaled sharply and wiped another tear, her voice thick and full of pain.

"Because I... I love him."

It was like something inside her snapped as she said those words, but she couldn't figure out if it was good or bad. It opened a door for a whole new wave of emotions, however. Ones that she wasn't prepared for.

She couldn't spare the sleeping mutant another glance as she rolled out of the bed and began to put on her clothes.

This infatuation with Peter was getting out of control. Very out of control. There was no way that it could be any sort of good - for anyone. Especially him.

Amara fucked up. She had to start distancing herself from him now. Now, before it was too late. She could only hope they would be able to find a way back to the X-Mansion soon so she could pack up her things and leave. Get as far away from this as possible.

Her footsteps were light as she made her way back over to the door, unable to take one last look at the sleeping man in the bed. It just hurt too much.

But if she had, she would have seen that same man blink his eyes open as soon as she turned down the hallway. She would have seen him frown as he thought about her words, his eyes lingering on the doorframe before he stood up, and quietly followed her out of the room.

*****

w/c: 912

a/n: lemme know what you think!! i'd love to hear any thoughts, opinions, or tips you may have!! thanks again for all the support and love!! xx