Chapter 7

"Hello?" Toni picked up her phone on the second ring, not expecting to hear her boss' voice on the other end.

"Hello, sir! Yes, it's Antonia. Of course, what's the assignment?" Her tone was serious as she stared at Valeriya, signalling her to keep quiet.

 "So, the eldest woman in the house? What's her name?" ... "Huh, alright. It'll be done promptly." With that, she hung up.

"Do you have a job?" Valeriya asked stupidly, coming over to Toni to express her excitement.

"Yes, and no, you're not coming." She replied flatly.

 "Come on! I think I'm ready to go on an assignment with you!" The other tried while pulling softly at Toni's shirt sleeve, who would only huff in response.

"Please?" Valeriya tried one last time, forcing a whine.

 "No, and that's final." Toni said, pulling her sleeve from the other's grasp.

"You're not ready. You may be able to shoot a gun but that doesn't make you a killer... Honestly, I don't know if you'll ever be ready." She continued as she gathered her things to leave on her assignment. Toni slipped on a thick jacket and headed for the door.

"Given that," she continued before Valeriya could butt in, "I wasn't ready either, we'll just have to see. Also, have an ice bath drawn for me when I get home, will you?" She finished with what she would describe as some kind of reassuring smile. Directly after their small exchange Toni left. She wouldn't confide in Valeriya with where or how long she'd be out that night, and she hoped to keep it that way for the time being. Out of all things, she didn't need her apprentice following her into such dangerous territory, knowing full well that she wouldn't be able to handle what she would have to do and the sight of the finished product.

Just moments after she walked out the door Toni's phone would be buzzing off in her pocket with questions from the other.

"I'm still here!" She yelled through the door, momentarily stopping the text messages that were flooding into her inbox. Toni managed to turn her phone on silent and make it out to her car without thinking on it, but before she left she took the few minutes to answer Valeriya's incessant messages. Her apprentice wanted to know every little thing about this assignment, but it wasn't Toni's place to reveal such things. She didn't like to. This was terrible work, but it had to be done. She knew this, and she knew that Valeriya will have to know this too, but she couldn't tell her about the details yet. For one reason or another, she didn't want to taint her counterparts view of the world. This was exciting, sure, but it was also mentally scarring. Toni felt that Val didn't understand that yet. Cutting lives short, whether they're good or bad, isn't anything to be proud of, it's just something that must be done.

She wouldn't think on it anymore, all of these conflicting thoughts were going to jeapordize her ability to perform where she was needed. She had to kill the head of yet another wealthy family, an older woman this time. Toni didn't recognize her name in the slightest, but it was something Russian. As were most of the people she had to take out. Her name was Agnes Barinova and she was the CEO for several very prestine companies that included high fashion clothing stores and jewelry shops. According to Toni's report, the woman had been collecting complaints from many of her female workers, saying that their pay was much less than the men who worked there, and very recently many older women who worked for her clothing companies heard whispers of Ms. Barinova attempting, and sometimes succeeding, to seduce the men of the work place. Unsurprisingly, some of those men happened to be the other employee's husbands. It seemed to be a group request, the hit came in from more than one person in the older woman's local companies.

She overlooked every page of the report and scanned each line multiple times at every stop line, studying the written down hobbies and habits of the woman. She was some what of a hoarder, collecting jewelry and clothes from her very own lines. Reports said she had her things stacked to the ceilings, and when confronted, she threw some kind of fit and threatened to sue, saying that if they touched or even looked at her things, their fingers and eyes would be removed.

 "Well... If touching her things is all this takes, then I think this hit will be remarkably easy." Toni noted in a breath, speeding down the freeway and making a left turn sixteen miles down the road. During the ride there, she would reflect over the last several weeks with her new companion. It was odd in every right, she was supposed to kill Valeriya. They both were aware of that fact, and yet Valeriya seemed to cling to Toni like a petulant child. They'd began to become closer and find out more about eachother, it was pleasant but foreboding. Toni couldn't place it, but something felt weird about their growing friendship. Whatever it was, it bothered her greatly, and she would never reveal it to the younger woman. Weakness in any form was something the assassin didn't like to show to anyone, much less her trainee.

Yet, she would digress. She had an assignment to pull through tonight, and she didn't want a repeat of last time...

--

Hi, hello. Sorry that this is a little short! I promise the next one will be longer, and I'll try to keep my updates frequent :)