Chapter 11

"Please answer..." Valeriya had sat on the couch with a tight grip on her phone, hoping desperately that Toni would reply to one of her many text messages. Unbeknownst to Valeriya, Toni wasn't having any of it. She knew of, and read over, all of the messages. Filled with apologies and worry, as they always were.

 "No." She grumbled to herself at the bar stool, one she frequently took refuge in.

"Where have you been, Toni? I haven't seen you around my tavern in months." Her old friend, Viktor, noted as she sat in her usual spot.

She would simply smile at him, "I've come into... I don't know what it is. You remember that girl? You told me about her, the one that was looking for me at the tavern." Speaking as she slammed down a shot of whiskey.

"Yes ma'am, I do. What about her?" He'd ask with his back facing the woman, going about spit shining glasses and putting them on the display rack.

"She lives with me  now. Cute as hell, really, but I got us both into a mess and I don't know what to do. And..." She took another shot, "she found out about the things I like and she fucking freaked out! Ugh. What do I do, Viktor?" The old man laughed at Toni's expense, watching her buzz take hold of her almost immediately.

"I say you talk to her calmly, without yelling. You tend to do that when you're overwhelmed. Doesn't help no one, girl. She workin' with you?" Viktor slid around and placed his forearms on the counter, looking at Toni's slightly slumped form.

 "Almost. I'm teaching her how I do my work. I think she likes it... So far." She would think on it for a moment more and then take two more shots, one after the other. Her body would slump further the more she sat, feeling a wave slosh around under her skin and in her head.

Viktor watched the woman for a long while, switching from whiskey to beer and downing those almost as quickly.

 "So..." He began, smiling under his bushy mustache.

"How is your heart faring with this new addition in your apartment?" His voice rumbled like ocean water against the rocks of a cliff, something Toni always found odd, yet soothing.

 "I-I don't... Know y-yet. Val-V-Valeriya, that's her name, is very pretty. She listens very well. And... And I like talking with her. She likes to hear things about my day and it makes me feel warm. But warm... Warm, like, in a good way. Not the normal way that makes me feel angry all the time. B-but now she knows that I'm gay and I don't think she likes me anymore..." She sighed out, her eyes half lidded as she stared down at her five empty shot glasses and two beer bottles. Viktor would smile wider, letting out a hardy laugh. "That sounds like you have an affection for her, and come now, I'm sure she still likes you. Even if it's just in the way of friendship. I know you, Toni, you don't want to lose friends. Even if you love them." His voice was sincere, but his use of the 'L' word wasn't much appreciated on Toni's side.

 "Ugh... Don't say that, old man." She groaned.

Toni was quiet for a long series of minutes before she decided to get up from her bar stool, getting to her feet less than gracefully.

"I'm going home." She slurred, turning to head for the door. Viktor wouldn't try to stop her knowing full well that she wouldn't stand for it.

The cold air hit Toni with full force, cooling her heated skin down enough for her to breathe properly.

 "Mmf..." She pulled her hood over her head to keep the wind from barraging her face any more than it was. Upon reaching her car, she noticed she was barely coherent enough to match the key to the lock on her vehicle's door.

"Ugh... Maybe I should walk." She reasoned in as much logic as she could muster in her drunken state. She pocketed her keys and started down the sidewalk. It's only two miles. Toni would tell herself, sighing out loudly. She knew that if she really needed it, Valeriya would come and get her, but she wouldn't give the other the satisfaction of beng the damsel in distress. Although, she couldn't deny that she was beginning to feel inexcusably sick.

Oh no... She groaned before falling to her knees next to the mouth of an alleyway. Toni lurched onto the pavement, hearing the wet smack of all that she drank and ate that day hit it.

"Ugh..." She groaned roughly, pushing herself up from the ground. The stench of her vomit clung to her breath and hair. Toni was desperately hoping she wouldn't run into anyone on her stumble back to the apartment, especially Valeriya, but as she kept on she noticed that everything began to grow darker. Too much alcohol...

--

Hello! Batch of updates today :> Again, sorry this one is short! I hope you're all enjoying it so far, lovelies.