four

There will forever be just two words that come to this author's mind the morning after any good party, "shock" and "delight." Well, dear reader, the scandalous accounts from last night's soiree at Vauxhall are quite shocking and delightful indeed. Emerging, phoenix-like from the ashes of irrelevance, is one Miss Daphne Bridgerton. The illustrious debutante was seen dancing not once, but twice with the season's most eligible and most uncatchable rake, the Duke of Hastings.

I sit with Mama and Lady Danbury on a bench in the park. Ezra is sitting a few feet away playing. Daphne and the Duke are promenading. Daphne has agreed to continue on with this ruse of courtship with the Duke. I cannot see how much longer this can go on if Daphne is to find an actual suitor by the end of the season.

"He is smiling," Lady Danbury states. Mama giggles. "The Duke rarely smiles."

"Daphne has an excellent sense of humor," Mama insists.

"She will need it. Life as a duchess will have many demands," Lady Danbury says. "Hosting balls, greeting foreign dignitaries... Daphne will not merely be in society. She will be leading it."

"I have prepared her quite well, Lady Danbury," Mama assures.

I stand up. "I think I shall go for a walk with Ezra."

Mama nods. "That will be nice, dearest."

I walk over towards Ezra and smile. "Ezra, dearest, would you like to go for a walk?"

"Okay, Mama," Ezra tells me.

I hold my hand out to him. "Come along."

Ezra shakes his head as he stands up. "I am too big to hold your hand."

I give him a look. "You do not have to hold my hand if you promise to walk besides me and not run off."

Ezra smiles as he nods his hand. "Okay, Mama."

Ezra and I do not make it very far before Ezra stops.

"Daphne!" Ezra shouts.

Before I can stop him he is running up to the Duke and Daphne.

"Ezra!" I call out as I chase after him.

"Hello, Ezra," Daphne greets.

"Daph, Your Grace, I am sorry for the interruption," I tell them.

"Nonsense," Daphne says.

I look down at Ezra. "Someone just could not help but to get excited about seeing his Aunt."

Daphne laughs. "It is quite alright. The Duke and I are just about done promenading." She bends down to Ezra's height. "I quite think I would like to promenade with Ezra for a while."

Ezra smiles widely. "Can I Mama?"

"So long as you do not run off again," I tell him.

Daphne holds her hand out to Ezra. "Come along."

I smile as the two walk off hand in hand. I have gotten such joy out of watching my own siblings care for Ezra. I turn to the Duke.

"I am sorry to ruin your promenading with Daphne," I tell him.

"We mostly talked about her grand plans for balls and teas and picnics," the Duke tells me.

"Let me guess eight balls," I say.

The Duke nods. "The purpose of our arrangement is to keep the marriage-minded mothers of the ton at bay, not hurl myself directly into the lion's den."

I shake my head. "No, the purpose is for Daphne to find an actual suitor." I smile. "Did she tell you to send flowers?"

"She expects expensive ones. Today," the Duke tells me.