eleven

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soiree promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Trowbridge. Some may call her celebrations too provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes. For one scandalous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

I stand with Daphne at the ball.

"Have you seen Prince Fredrich yet?" I ask.

Daphne shakes her head. "I have not."

"I'm sure he will be here to sweep you off your feet," I tell her.

"Daphne!" Cressida walks over towards us. "You look beautiful, as always."

"Thank you, Cressida," Daphne says.

"You could have chosen anyone. You have gentlemen lined up to pay you tribute. Yet you did not hesitate to steal my chance for happiness away, did you? I knew the marriage market would make rivals of us, but I never thought you capable of being my enemy," Cressida says.

"The man made his choice, Cressida," Daphne tells her. "What did you expect me to do?" She walks off towards the prince.

I smile a sickeningly sweet smile at Cressida. "Enjoy your evening Miss Cowper."

I walk over to speak with Lady Trowbridge and a few other Ladies.

Lady Featherington is speaking with Lady Trowbridge. "Quite the affair, Lady Trowbridge. You have such, uh..." She chuckles "...striking taste."

"What a compliment, Lady Featherington, especially from you," Lady Trowbridge remarks.

Prudence guides a crying Philipa towards Lady Featherington .

"Philippa, should you not be on the dance floor with Mr. Finch?" Lady Featherington pushes Prudence and Philipa away from us.

Anthony walks over towards us. "Ladies." The woman smiles at him. He turns to me. "Sister, I was hoping to speak with you."

I nod my head. "Of course." We walk away from the group. "So who are we running away from this time?" I ask.

"Miss Addington, the Earl of Lindsay's niece," Anthony tells me.

I chuckle. "And what is the problem with Miss Addington?" I question.

"Nothing is wrong with her. It is just..." Anthony trails off.

"If you do not wish to marry then do not. You are a man. You have that choice," I tell him. I point to Colin who is dancing with Miss Thompson. "Plus I think we should worry about our brother. He looks rather cozy with Miss Thompson."

"I have not heard him say that he wishes to marry quite yet," Anthony tells me.

"I have seen him with Miss Thompson many a times. I dare say they may be courting," I state.

"I'm sure it is nothing more than infatuation," Anthony insists. "Maybe we should be focused on Daphne. Where has she gotten off to?"

I look around. "I do not know. I shall look for her."

"I will go with you." Anthony tells me.

Anthony and I cannot find Daphne anywhere inside. We both head outside towards the garden. I pray for her sake that she is not there. Especially not with a man.

When we find her Daphne is not alone. Simon and her are kissing.

"Bastard!" Anthony pushes Simon away from Daphne and punches him in the face.