twelve

Daphne rushes into my room in the early hours. I have not even been able to go back to sleep since coming home.

"Sister!" Daphne shouts.

I sit up and look at her. "Daphne it is early what ever could possess you to shout?"

Daphne looks at me like I am the crazy one. "What happened this morning?"

I sigh as I pull myself out of bed. "I have handled it."

She looks suspired. "Is the Duke going to marry me?"

I shake my head. "No."

"Then how..." Daphne starts.

I interrupt her, "You will marry the Prince or any other man you so wish."

"What about the Duke?" Daphne asks.

I take a deep breath. "I am marrying the Duke."

"What?" Daphne asks. "No. No. Why would you marry the Duke?"

"Because I promised you I would handle this," I tell her.

"And he's agreed to this?" Daphne asks.

"Yes," I assure her.

"Why?" Daphne asks.

"Why what Daphne?" I question.

"Why are you marrying him?" Daphne asks.

"Daphne Simon does not love you," I tell her. Daphne shakes her head. "I know it hurts. But... But you need to move on. Do not marry this season. Take off for Paris. I do not care. But you are not marrying the Duke and living in an unhappy marriage for the rest of your days." I take her hands in mine. "Please, Sister. You will get over this." I smile. "And maybe one day understand why I did this for you."

I head down to the drawing room. Mama is sitting there looking a little tired. She must have had a marvelous evening.

"Good morning Mama," I greet.

"Oh. Betty. Is it not a little early for you to be up?" Mama questions.

I laugh. "Some of us did not have as marvelous a night as you."

Mama puts her head in her hand as her maids tend to her. "I did not overindulge. Truly, it was just a poor night of sleep."

"I shall fetch a glass of raw eggs and garlic, ma'am. Should be just the thing," Mrs Wilson tells her.

Daphne walks into the room.

"Are you feeling better, dearest? Perhaps I, too, caught whatever it was that sent you home early from the party. I have a terrible headache, indeed," Mama says.

"Mama I must confess," I tell her.

"What is it?" Mama asks.

"I am engaged," I tell her.

Mama looks at me in shock. "Engaged? To whom?"

"The Duke," I tell her.

"The Duke?" Mama looks from me to Daphne. "Whatever is your sister talking about?"

"It is true," Daphne tells her. "Betty is the one the Duke is in love with. Not me."

Mama turns to me. "Are you in love with the Duke?"

I nod my head and force a small smile. "Yes."

I do not know that I love Simon. We kissed and I enjoyed it. And to be honest with myself it almost went further than that. But after his refusal to marry me even when I thought he cared for me I'm just confused.