twenty one

As Simon and I arrive everyone is already in the parlor.

Ezra spots me first.  "Mama!"

I laugh as he wraps his arms around my legs.

"Sister!" Francesca shouts.

I pull her into a hug. "Francesca! Welcome home."

"It is so wonderful to see you." Francesca nods at Simon. "And you, Your Grace. I thought four brothers enough, but returning to five is quite nice."

"Simon!" Hyacinth skips towards Simon. "When will I be able to visit Clyvedon?"

"Hyacinth allow the Duke to find a seat before you trouble him," Mama tells her.

"You are welcome to visit at any time," Simon assures.

Hyacinth giggles as she drags him across the room.

"Now, come. Show me what you've been learning all summer," I instruct.

I spot Eloise sitting on a couch eating chocolates from a box. I sit down next to her.

"I will give you anything you desire if you give me one of those chocolates," I tell her. Eloise moves the box towards me. I smile. "Oh Eloise I do so love you."

Benedict sits down on the other side of our sister.

"I do not share my food," Eloise insists.

"Well you do." Benedict points to me. "Anyhow you are not to do what you did the other morning ever again. Do you understand, Eloise?"

"You mean visiting my new acquaintance?" Eloise questions.

"She is not your acquaintance," Benedict insists.

"I was wrong about her. She is wonderful. You have nothing to worry about," Eloise tells him.

"I wasn't worried about anything," Benedict tells her.

Anthony sits down next to me on the rather small couch. "Not worried about what?" Anthony holds his hand out for Eloise to hand him a chocolate and she does.

"Uh... I..." Benedict stumbles over his words. "I have a friendship with Genevieve Delacroix... the... modiste."

It takes a moment for Anthony to reply, "Good for you, Brother. You deserve contentment. We all do. If the lady contributes to that, then I'm happy for you." Anthony smiles before standing up.

"Whatever is in those candies?" Benedict remarks before standing up.

"Sister, your pianoforte is quite impressive," I tell Francesca.

"Join me, Brother," Francesca asks Colin.

"Yes, Colin, why not a song?" Lady Bridgerton says.

"If I must," Colin says.

Colin starts to sing, "Now we are met, let mirth abound. And let the catch and toast go round. And then the catch, and then the catch."

I smile slightly as Anthony claps along. He seems happy. Hyacinth and Gregory are spinning arm and arm.

"And let the catch and toast go round. Now we are met, let mirth around. And let the catch and toast go round."

"Move! I want to dance with the Duke," Hyacinth states.

"And then the catch, and then the catch. And let the catch and toast go round."

I notice Penelope in the doorway as Eloise walks over towards her.

"And let the catch and toast go round. And let the catch, and let the catch. And let the catch and toast go round."

Everyone claps as Colin finishes singing.