fourteen

Is there a more romantic notion? To retreat from society together finally leaving watchful eyes behind.

As we arrive at Clyvedon I realize the estate is absolutely huge. The castle itself is rather large, larger than any home in the heart of London could ever hope to be. From the outside I can tell the inside will be impressively beautiful. All of the staff is outside to greet us. I smile at all of them and Lizzy is absolutely beaming as I pass by her.

The woman at the front of the line curtsies before Simon and I. I can tell she is the housekeeper. "Welcome to Clyvedon, Your Grace. It has been so long since we have been blessed with your presence, but I trust you will find everything to your liking."

"I do not doubt it, Mrs. Colson," Simon tells her. "I hope you have been well."

Mrs. Colson smiles. "Mm."

"May I introduce to you the Duchess of Hastings?" Simon says.

I smile at the woman. "I am looking forward to making your acquaintance, Mrs. Colson."

"Thank you, Your Grace." Mrs. Colson smiles. "I have planned everything to make you both comfortable. First, a light meal, served on the terrace. Then a tour to show you all the improvements I have made. Then..."

Simon interrupts her, "I am sure it will be most diverting, but I am afraid it will have to wait. I have plans of my own for my new bride."

Simon takes my hand in his and leads me into the large castle. I was correct. It is all rather impressive and beautifully decorated.

"I want to show you the bedroom," Simon tells me.

"Yours or mine?" I question.

Simon smiles. "You truly believe we are to have separate rooms?"

I smile widely as I shake my head. "Not even the slightest." Simon picks me up in his arms and I. "Everyone shall see Your Grace. Whatever will they think?" I tease.

"Does it matter?" Simon asks.

While this author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss its most-remarked-upon couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the Duke and Duchess returning to us bearing a surprise.

Simon and I are all tangled up in each other on our rather comfortable bed.

"Do you know the real reason that mamas will not tell their daughters about certain... diversions?" I ask. Simon looks at me curiously. "Should they tell their daughters there would be no way to get anything else done at all?" Simon smiles as he starts to kiss down my neck. "I must go." This does nothing to stop Simon's kisses. "If I am to be Duchess of all of this, I must start learning the lie of the land."

Simon places my hand on his bare chest. "You are already Duchess of all this."

I smile widely. "And I look forward to exploring that particular land further..." I push Simon over onto his back and sit up. "Later." Simon grabs me and forces me onto my back once more. "Simon!" I scold.

"You said the duchy was most intimidating. Why not stay and lord it over this room? You may find it a bit more titillating," Simon offers.

I laugh as he kisses me once more. "I do not doubt it. But I suspect Mrs. Colson shall always resent me if I do not take her tour."

"Then let her resent," Simon tells me before another kiss.

I shake my head as I push him back one more. "I shall do nothing of the sort. I know a lady is nothing without her housekeeper. I must make a good impression, or nothing in this house shall run smoothly." I finally pry myself from Simon's grip and stand up from the bed.