nineteen

I arrive at Lady Danbury's party together as promised. I was thrust into the world of Lady Danbury parties with no knowledge when I was but 21. Even after Oliver passed I would frequent Lady Danbury's to forget about my problems for a while.

As I enter the room there are tables all over with laughing and gossiping women. The spirits are flowing and I can tell more than one woman has already lost money.

Lady Danbury walks over to greet me. "Your Grace. Welcome to my den of iniquity." She leads us to a card table where three other women are already seated. "I believe you already know Lady Trowbridge, Your Grace, but have you met Lucy Granville? And this is Kitty Langham."

"The general's wife, yes," I say. Kitty smiles. "Well, lovely to meet you all."

"Well, do not just stare. Deal the Duchess in," Lady Danbury tells the dealer.

I sit down next to Kitty.

"No need to teach this one the rules," Lucy jokes.

"First, a woman takes her wedding vows, then we gamblers take her virtue," Lady Trowbridge teases.

"If her husband has left any to be taken," Lucy remarks.

I laugh at the remark.

"Now, ladies, place your bets," Lady Danbury says.

Kitty offers a drink to me. "Takes away the sting of losing, I rather think."

I smile as I move my glass towards Kitty.

"The duchess is a quick study. I'm sure she will have the measure of things in no time. All it takes is a little practice and perseverance," Lady Danbury states.

We play round after round. I seem to be the best player at the table.

"The earl would have my head if he knew how much money I have lost," Lady Trowbridge remarks.

"The earl is but two years old," I remind her.

"Hmm. Well, then, I'm in luck, am I not?" Lady Trowbridge remarks before standing and leaving with Lucy.

I smile. "It seems to be my lucky night."

"The game is not over yet, Your Grace," Kitty tells me.

"I wonder, Kitty..." I start. "There is a soldier in service I am hoping to find for a friend. Do you think your husband might be able to assist me?"

"You will have to ask that of him yourself. He is so rarely at home," Kitty informs me.

I smile. "Is that not the way you like it?"

Kitty chuckles. "It is quite the ideal situation to live a separate life to one's husband. I am afforded all the freedoms of marriage while bearing none of the burden of his company."

"I can tell you where to write. My husband. Perhaps the general will grant you a response. It is not as if you are his wife," Kitty tells me.

"Duchess, you win again!" Lady Danbury remarks.

I chuckle. "Seeing how you entertain yourself, I rather think you the victor, Lady Danbury."

Lady Danbury smiles. "I rather think so too. Again."

As I head up the stairs of Hastings house to my own room I pass Simon's. The door is open and he looks to be nursing an injury.

"It seems I became a little too rough training with Will," Simon tells me.

I walk into the room. "Shall I call for Jeffries?"

"No," Simon tells me.

I grab the rag from his hand. "Let me. With four brothers, and a son, you cannot imagine the nasty cuts I have tended to over the years."