seven

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week. Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture, that she, like this author, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.

I sit in Daphne's room as she readies for the day. She is to meet the Duke.

"Daphne, why have you turned down all three proposals offered to you this week?" I question.

"I am waiting," Daphne tells me.

"For what? Or Who?" I ask. "They were perfectly suitable, perfectly fine gentlemen."

"I do not want fine," Daphne tells me.

I roll my eyes. "You want exceptional."

"And I will not settle for less," Daphne tells me.

Mama and I are in the parlor for tea. She smiles widely.

"Her Majesty's nephew is coming to town," Mama tells me.

"A prince?" I ask.

Mama nods. "Prince Friedrich of Prussia."

"And I am to assume that you have your eyes on him for Daphne," I reason.

Mama looks at me for a moment. "Should things not work out with the Duke."

"Do you really think a rake such as Simon is the proper fit for Daphne?" I ask.

Mama looks at me surprised. "Simon?" I realise the mistake I have made. "I was unaware that you and the Duke were on a first name basis."

"I... Well... We have spoken." I look at Mama. "I was unaware that I was not allowed to speak with the Duke."

"It is not that, dear. You are permitted to speak with whomever you so choose. I just think it a little odd that you are on a first name basis with your sister's suitor," Mama tells me.

I shrug my shoulders. "I find the Duke an interesting person."

"And as a match for your sister?" Mama asks.

I force a smile. "I see potential."

I sit in the parlor with Mama and my siblings.

"Daphne, have you thought about with whom you would like to dance at tonight's ball?" Mama asks.

"I have some ideas," Daphne replies. "Lord Weaver is a fine dancer."

"Lord Hardy was asking about you at White's last night," Anthony informs Daphne.

"Lord Hardy? What about the Duke?" Mama asks.

"The Duke has not proposed, Mama," Daphne reminds her. "I am still considering my best course."

"Wise girl," Anthony says.

"And Lord Hardy is a fine option. Although, he is rather boastful," Daphne says.

"My dear, why ever do you complicate matters so?" Mama asks. "You must simply marry the man who feels like your dearest friend."

"Is that it, Mama?" Daphne remarks. "Well, how very simple indeed!"

"Yes, quite," Mama states.

Another ball means another evening of Daphne and the Duke dancing. Of gentlemen callers trying to get her attention and every mama and her daughter in the ton trying to get the attention of the Duke.