Chapter Six

I could no longer tell which was worse, continuing to attend Professor Lorde's class and having to sit through lecture after lecture of Shakespearean English, or knowing that for the rest of the semester I would have to meet with Alexander and base half of my grade on his works.

My eyes glanced beside me, to the seat he had now claimed as his own to see that not only was he not taking notes, but he didn't even have a notebook or pen in his hand to take notes with.

What is this guy's deal?

Catching my gaze, Alexander flashed me a wide smile and I quickly turned back to Professor Lorde listening as he finished up his continued lecture of Romeo and Juliet. "Remember that I've gotten most of your grades in for your responses for all those who have already turned them in," he sighed. "Also, if you haven't checked already I've posted the groups on Canvas, so if you haven't checks already do so and meet with your partner this week so you can discuss which Shakespeare play you'll be doing your assignment on."

I'd already starting packing my things and started down the stairs to Professor Lorde's desk. He too was eagerly packing up his this ready to burst from the hall when I stopped him.

"Do you have a quick second," I proposed to the jittery man. His slid his computer inside the large leather messenger bag and looks up at me in a way that said make it quick. "I was just wondering if there was any way I could be switched to a different group partner? The one assigned to me, I fear doesn't have the best work ethic and I'm already struggling in the whole Shakespearean Era department."

"No."

His tone was clipped and final like that of a scissor snapping through paper. Swinging his bag around his shoulder I chased after him as he made large strides to leave.

"W-Wait! Erm... what?"

"I said Miss Cooper," Professor Lorde huffed, turning around and watching me. "No. No I will not change your partner. No because that would disrupt the entire system; if I change it for you then I'd have to change it for the other thirty people who asked me to change. It would disrupt another person's partnership and I just really don't want to."

Harriet stood below him, mouth slightly agape, as her mind struggled to comprehend what was going on. "Did you hear what I said, about my struggling in your class."

"And I'm sorry about that, but if you want to know the truth I'm actually doing you a favor."

"A favor?!"

Professor Lorde exhaled as if he were about to explain something to a small child, or an insolent adult—both of whom Harriet Wright-Cooper was not. "Your major is what... business."

"Pre-law."

"Exactly, when you go off to defend people in court do you think you're always going to chose your client. Choose the attorney you're going to work with on the case or whose above you? In life you have to work with people you don't particularly get along with, so yes, my answer to you is no. No I will not change your partner from Mister Prince. Now if you will excuse me, I have a child's birthday party to attend."

And with that he was gone leaving Harriet along in the lecture hall until she gathered herself up enough to exit.

Exhaling, I rolled her eyes before following in Professor Lorde's footsteps. The only things racing through my mind was the fact that I was going to be stuck with him, just like I was stuck in this class. Adjusting the bag on her shoulder, I wedged my way through a couple incoming students when I saw him standing across the hall.

Alexander's back was leaned casually with one of his legs bent slightly to support his weight.

Please don't be waiting for me.