Chapter Twenty

CONFRONTATION

Opaque darkness filled every inch of the room I sat in and my eyes struggled to see through it. Lifting up my hands, I could feel my fingers moving, nails digging into the palm of my hands, but saw nothing despite being aware of my own presence. "Hello," I called out only to hear the distant dripping of water.

"Hello, is there anybody here?" I screamed again. "Somebody please turn the lights on."

Slowly, I got to my feet, arms reaching out in search of anything for me to get my bearings. A wall, a piece of furniture, a person. I tried to steady my breathing, but the more I focused on keeping my heartbeat as a steady pace, the faster it became. "Hello," I called out again, this time the heaviness of desperation terrified me. My voice shook and shivered laced with fear and exposed the tears which were about to fall from my eyes. "Hello, I need—"

"Ettie?"

I stopped.

"Ettie are you there?"

"Mom?"

My body swirled, ears tuning for any indication of where she was. Her voice sounded as if she were right next to me and five miles away at the same time. "Mom, where are you?"

"Ettie you have to keep your eyes closed."

"Mom, I can't see you," I called taking steps in any direction. Every direction to find her. I felt as my feet quickened. "Mom... Mom!

"Ettie, close your eyes!"

Her voice shook me to my very core and turned into thunderous applause. The bright lights ripped away every shred of darkness and suddenly the applause became less of a thunderstorm and more like putters of rain drops.

"That'll be all the debates for today," Professor Aude announced. "Thank you Jarad and Lisa, on Thursday we'll ear from Prathana and Harriet."

Shaking the darkness from my head. I shoved my notebook and pen into my backpack before slinging it over my shoulder and following the influx of other students out of class. "Please tell me that you're ready for Thursday," I turned at Ana's voice trailing behind me. "I'd hate to beat you so brutally because you were unprepared, besides laziness isn't a trait us Kappa sisters uphold."

"Are you saying..."

Taking the silver pin from her pocket, Ana handed it back to me. "Congratulations, Harriet Wright-Cooper, you're back in the race. Honestly, I didn't know you had it in you, but stone cold bitch does run in your veins."

Too busy admiring the cool silver in my hand, Ana's words didn't register in my head until she was already gone. "What?" I asked to nobody before checking the time. If I was going to make it to my next class I had to leave for the Maroon now, Frank might not be my boss anymore, but I had no doubt if I came late he'd find some excuse not to give me my last check.

The entire walk to Harvard Square I replayed the Ana's words. Again and again. "Honestly, I didn't know you had it in you, but stone cold bitch does run in your veins."

Just another subtle reminder about my mother.

I swallowed, stepping inside the oddly quiet bar. These were my favorite times to work, the only people who'd be coming in at this time would be anyone who didn't have a job, class, or the regular alcoholics in denial.

Swiping a few peanut from the bar, I playfully slapped my hand on the marble counter. "Hello bartender," I called out. "Get me a scotch on the rocks and make it a double."

I jumped when out from underneath someone unexpected popped their head up. "Emeka!"

"Harriet," he smiled. Emeka was the second bartender who usually worked when Soren had classes or didn't want to do a shift. Handsome and kind, had also had the smoothest chocolate skin I'd ever seen on a person and made me both envious and hot when I saw him. "I'm sorry about what happened."