Chapter Thirty-Seven

NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH

The conservatory was a mansion of glass. Inside was filled with people and plants that I was sure would be the only beings to hold my secrets for eternity. As I walked through the trees and plants I could feel people watching me. When I was waiting for Louis there had been so many phones pointed in my direction I just knew about a million different videos had been posted of me thus my introduction to social media began. The chattered continued until I saw him again.

    Gideon smiled at me from a nook in the conservatory and set his book down. "Look who I find wandering the aisle like a sappy poet in love," he gleams. "Why the long face."

    I shrugged unable to put into words that the guy I had traveled thousands of miles for had publicly ignored me and I'd just seen my father for the first time in sixteen years. So, instead I settled with a simple, I'm fine and found my place beside him.

    "You are so far from fine it's ridiculous," he shot. "I know I'm practically a stranger and you owe me no explanation, but I found sometimes it's easier to talk to a stranger. We have a more object view of things."

    I chuckled and looked down at my hands as the words began to fall out of my mouth. I spoke of my mother and getting into Harvard. I told him about Kappa and everything that I'd done in there. I told him about the missing girls and my dreams and nightmares. I even divulged into the parts about Alexander and Louis, my adoptive parents lying to me and everything about Elliot, Tatiana and Inez and Prathana. I talked until I had nothing left inside of me and my entire life's story was sitting in front of us rusted and bear for the taking. When I finished I was slightly out of breath and even more than that terrified of the judgement that would be coming my way. My eyes darted down to my hands and I took a breath.

    Gideon's feet shuffled before he finally said. "Wow."

    "That's all you have to say?" I snapped looking up. "After all of that, the only thing you have to say is—"

    "You want to go get a drink?" he cut me off.

    My mouth fishtailed. "What?"

    Gideon smiled. "Do you want to get a drink?" he repeated. "It really seems like you need one and honestly I'm tired of studying." Still unable to find my words Gideon said once more, "Okay, well why don't you think about it, but there's a bar right across the street from here. If you're interested meet me there and I'll be happy to tell you my thoughts about your dilemma and you can pick my brain for some other things if you'd like."

    Packing up his things Gideon disappeared beyond the plants.

    I took a moment to myself. Softly smiling and for a moment I thought maybe this is what I needed to come to England for to break free from Louis. To get closure. Maybe I wasn't supposed to be with him, but get over him.

    Swallowing, I'd made up my mind, Squaring my shoulders I looked around and noticed how empty the conservatory had become and quiet. "Gideon?" I called out as I heard nearing footsteps. Walking over to the place he disappeared. "Gideon are you—"

    "Who's Gideon?" My body froze as I turned the corner and saw Louis standing there before me.

    His eyes were lightened and there was a smile playing on his face as he watched me intensely. "You're here."

    "You're here," he smiled taking a step closer to me. "What are you doing here?"

    "I came to see you."

    Louis looked down, his lips pursing. "What for?"

    My mouth opened and closed and my mind  tried to find the words to fill his silence. "Because."