Chapter Twenty-Four

HOW TO BE A DAUGHTER

Danielle Cooper knew nothing about subtlety. Her personality in general reminded me very much of Tatiana which is why, I figured, they became such good friends when she visited me in Poulsbo last summer. This is also why I had practically begged her to come along with me on this recon mission, but she declined on the case of having too much homework tho finish.

Just like Walter, his wife was standing outside of my class building waiting for me. The only difference was the obvious confidence she had. Bright smile on her face, she stood in bright clothes fit for spring covering her tall model-like frame and long black hair slightly curled, brown skin gleaming in the sun as if it came out just for her. "Good morning sunshine," she smiled embracing me upon meeting her and my reciprocation lagged, but my arms found their way around his body nonetheless. "What class did you have today?"

"Constitutional law," I said as Danielle released me.

She gasped dramatically. "I can't believe they expect you to talk about law so early in the morning. I mean can't they give a girl a break."

"I actually prefer morning," I said. "Get the hard classes out of the way that way I have all afternoon to work and do homework. Plus it's easier on travel. I don't have to go from class to work, back to class, then home you know."

She exhaled and nodded as our small talk went stale. I knew she was just searching for some playful teasing and banter, but my tongue felt too heavy to lift and there was a pressure climaxing and ebbing in my chest as she lead me to her car. "I figured we would start the day with some breakfast. I saw this cute little coffee shop on my way here we could try."

Walking inside the coffee shop Alexander and I had went to earlier this week caused chagrin to rush into my cheeks. Even more so when the same waitress walked up to us, quizzically looking between me and Danielle. "Hello, what can I get for you two?" she asked thankfully not questioning me about the whereabouts of Alexander or acknowledging the prior time she saw me.

"I'll just have a black coffee and a buttered croissant."

"Could I get..." Danielle drifted off as her eyes scanned the menu putting together her order. "A bone dry half caf mocha latte with oat milk not dairy, two shots of expresso, and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top and I'll take a croissant as well please."

The waitresses lips thinned as her knuckled went white taking Danielle's order. What was almost worst than a difficult customer was a difficult order. Though, I wanted to reassure her, there was no doubt Danielle would leave her a tip worth her trouble, I smiled tensely at the girl in understanding as she went back to make our orders.

Danielle sighed. "She seemed a little short."

"Yeah, well this isn't Starbucks. She's probably not used to such a difficult order," I said tasting the hints of steel in my voice as Danielle took interest in the view outside her window.

"It's quite beautiful here," she smiled brightly. "I can see why you chose Cambridge."

"It was more for the school and less of the location."

She looked at my teasingly. "Yeah, but location had to have been at least part of your decision. I mean I loved Columbia, but if it wasn't in New York, I think I would've gone else where."

I shook my head, when it had come down to my decisions in colleges Harvard was the only choice. It was where my mother when and her father it also happened to be one of the top ivy league schools in the world, that gave its students a lot of access to opportunities other just couldn't. Location wasn't a factor at all. Harvard could've been in Florida, Russia, South Africa, or Antartica I still would've attended. Besides her journal, being at Harvard was the closest I'd ever be to my mother. "So, what exactly are we doing today?"