Chapter Twelve

NANCY DREW

In my embarrassed state I had decided, for the time being, to put my detective work to rest. At least until midterms was over and Spring Break came rolling around. For all intents and purposes, I had more important things for worry about: a) I still hadn't found out a way to come up with all that cash for the Kappa dues without me going completely broke. b) Every class I went to seemed to be increasingly putting more pressure on the coming few days than they'd ever been before. c) Not only had I not touched my project for Lorde's class in what seemed like weeks, but I had no idea where to start anymore. d) I still was, rightfully of course, still not speaking to Alexander, which despite what I had told Tatiana days earlier, had in fact made this project a lot harder than expected.

I found myself thinking, for just a moment, what it would be like to just laze around, not put much effort into work and just pass. To know that life, no matter what choices I made now or ever, would just work out for me. To have that much arrogance running through my veins.

Then, as I pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind I put the final touches on my International Law essay and was interrupted by a knock on my door. "Future big, checking on my little."

"Could we please not use those names."

"Hey, this whole pledging process is supposed to b fun and somehow you're managing to suck the fun out of it every way you turn," Tatiana pouted as she slide herself on my bed. "Which reminds me to ask, have you gotten the money for your dues?"

Sitting in my bare room, we both knew the answer to this question and yet I felt like Tatiana was getting a small dose of pleasure any time I expression my sentiments of not wanting help. "No, but I will have it next week when it's actually due."

"I just don't see why you don't just ask Danielle or Walter."

"Because that's not the kind of relationship we have Tati," I said. "I like to keep things uncomplicated between us and money always get the water murkey when it comes to that."

"Then why don't you just borrow it from me and you can led it back afterwards." I didn't even respond, giving her a look of utter distaste before she raised her hands up in surrender. "Never mind then, it was just a option I was laying out on the table for you."

"No, it's not," I said seeing at the notification popped up on my phone screen. Saving my work, I grabbed my things and shoved them into my backpack. "Look, I promise I'll have the money before the next meeting. Don't worry so much."

As I made my way to my to my Criminal Law class and sat through Aude's lecture over class actions and the different degrees of murder all I could think of was Kappa. Currently I had exactly how much I needed for my dues in my account: Five thousand one hundred and sixty-eight to be exact. Though, that money was for this my tuition this semester along with the extra fee which had no doubly been added to my account in light of the extra class I took.

I exhaled, looking down at my notes to see there was barely anything written on the paper. Crap.

"Remember to read over your case files for next week," Professor Aude said in the midst of the sound of students gathering their things to leave. "Also don't forget midterms are coming up, so don't wait until the last minute to start studying."

"What exactly are we supposed to study?" The voice echoed from the back of the lecture hall.

"Mister Winston?"

"I just mean... are you going to put a study guide onto Canva or are we just... on our own because some of my other professors have already started having study sessions to prepare us."