Chapter Thirty-Four

HOW MONA LISA LOST HER SMILE

As much as I hated dressing up. I found myself thinking standing in my bathroom mirror fixing my hair in the black cocktail dress Danielle had bought me a few years ago for one of Walter's fundraisers. It looked mature and smart, perfect for the opening and for some reason I found myself wanting her to just be happy knowing these past few days had been stressing her about everything that's been happening.

    As I finished, I smoothed my hand down my dress and though back to this morning. I had woken up beside Alex and had come to the realization that he only looked peaceful when he was ales. There were times when he was awake, it looked as if there were a million things running in his head as if he was about to explode any second from the pressure of it all.

    Leaning closer to him, I had smoothing my finger through his scalp before pressing my lips to the corner of his mouth. Then, just for a second I thought. What would it feel like if...

    I pulled my bottom lip into my mouth as the sensation tingle. His lips were soft against my and and when I pulled away, my heart raced at the sight of his eyes fluttering open. Until his seat green eyes were staring at me with slight confusion. I breathed once again before kissing him square on the lips. It's quick and chaste and I can feel from he very marrow of my bones something telling me to stop. That the only reason I'm doing this is because he's half asleep.

    He's half asleep and won't remember it when the morning sun rises through his bedroom window. Yet, this was still going against everything I had told myself about guys like him. I wasn't supposed to fall for guys like him.

    Who said you were falling for him, my inner monologue interrupts my self deprecating thoughts. It's just a kiss, they guys didn't ask you to marry him.

    I don't know if this eases me, or causes me more anxiety to rush into my bloodstream.

    All I know is that right as I'm about to make my great escape, Alex's arms securely wrap around my body in front of his and then his lips kiss me again.

    A knock on the bathroom door took my concentration away. "Harrie, you ready?" Walter called out for me. "Danielle's getting a bit anxious and I think she's about to talk your friend's ear off with her concerns." Opening the door and followed Walter down to see exactly what Walter had described. Danielle had seemingly cornered Alex and by the vigorous way her arms were moving, she was venting all of her frustrations out to him. Alex's eyes met my own and pleadingly he begged for help. I snickered as Walter and I approached them. "Alright, hon why don't you give the boy's ears a break," Walter said taking his wife in his arm and silencing her worries.

    "What if nobody comes?" She grumbled.

    "People will come," I assured as we started out the door and into Walter's car. "You're this year Greatwood Pie Queen, I think it would be treason if they didn't."

    Danielle laughed and I felt a blossom of something in the pit of my stomach knowing that I'd helped her. As me and Alex slipped into the back of the car, I felt his hand nudge against mine. Knowing that as soon as I looked at him my face would turn the same color as Danielle's dress, I continued out the window. Watching as the McMansions turned into the colorful faded down and then we were parked outside Danielle's gallery.

    Music was already playing and from the outside, the entire place seemed full. As we got out of the car and slid in we watched as people in their best clothes gazed at the art and amicably chatted. Danielle's eyes seemed to well with tears that she held back as we all gathered for a photo. "What do you think you're doing?" Danielle asked Alex as he slipped behind the photographer.