Chapter Thirty-Five

NEW NORMAL

I left as soon as morning came.

    With no note or final goodbye I snuck out of my house from the backyard and walked three streets over to the car awaiting me and my bag to take me to Bush Intercontinental Airport. The entire way there I'd been thinking about last night's fiasco and Warner showing up at my backdoor soaking wet and filled with explanations. "We met at a park when you were five," he started. "I was seven and you and your dad came, we were playing together and then he left, but he never came back. My mom took you and we were on our way to the police station when we go into an accident." I saw the accident as clear as day now, as if somebody had finally unlocked a portion of my memory I hadn't bothered to recall. "At the hospital, your grandparents made me swear that I didn't tell you anything and then my sister and I were placed in the system and we didn't see you again until after they died. When we met again you didn't remember us and thought your father had died, I just didn't want to cause you anymore pain."

    "So you lied to me."

    I felt numb to everything and by the time I arrived back on campus I didn't want to be reminded of anything about my past, my family, or myself. I had already spent the night crying and thinking myself into a hole. The only thing that would make this all better would be for me to be able to forget it all happened.

    As my taxi pulled up to the black iron gates, I handed the guy a few crisp bills before sliding out of the yellow car with my things. "There she is!" I heard a man yell before I was surrounded by a swarm of flashing lights.

    "Harriet!"

    "Harriet!"

    "Harriet can you tell us anything about the Prince's secret identity."

    "Harriet!"

    "Did you sleep with the Prince?"

    "Harriet!"

    "Are you the Prince's girlfriend?"

    "Harriet!"

    "Harriet over here!"

    I tried to push my way through, but they cut me off at every corner. My voice was meek as I pleaded for a path through. Seconds away from giving in I felt a hand take my own and pull my through. "Excuse me gentlemen!" The strict British accent said and only once we broke free did my eyes raise up to see Professor Aude tight bun. Exhaling, my fingers wiggled for relief, but it didn't come. The woman pulled me all through campus and didn't stop until we were standing in her office. "Sit," she told me pointing to a chair in front of her desk which I took without further questions. "Would you like some tea?" I declined, but seconds later found myself holding a cup and saucer in my hand. "You've had quite a heavy couple of days."

    I nodded sipping my tea. "That's one way to put it."

    Professor Aude smiled softly before clearing her throat and leaning over her desk to me just slightly. "Look I know I have no right to tell you have to live your life. I am just your professor, but affiliating yourself with someone like Prince Louis—"

    "Professor I'm sorry for interrupting you, but I'm not involved with Louis," I said. "I was barely his friend before all of this chaos started happening."

    Professor Aude sighed before pulling out three newspapers the headlines readings:

PARTY PRINCE PHILANDERS NO MORE!

IS PRINCE LOUIS IN LOVE WITH AN AMERICAN BEAUTY?

A PRINCE AND HIS PAUPER.

    Under each headline was a photo of me in Greatwood running walking with Louis in the county fair and what seemed to be a shot through the glass of Danielle's gallery showcasing me and Louis in a close embrace. I felt my face burn by the invasion of privacy and disrespect. Who were they to call me a pauper.