Chapter Ten

PONDERING

Five thousand dollars." My shock had continued through the next two days since Inez broke the news to me and unfazed, Tatiana ignored me like she'd been doing since the last eight times I expressed myself to her. "But it's not even just that, but in one week."

"It's to weed out those who aren't as committed as the others," she shrugged. "We have charity fundraisers all the time, it looks bad if we don't submit the exact number we said we would. Every Kappa sister has to do her part."

I looked over at my desk drawer knowing my mother had written about something similar in her diary, but too afraid to open it. Ever since I'd read those words in the textbook I couldn't bear to read Kerry's words. Had everything been a lie? I thought thinking back to the smiling woman in my memories. What was she hiding.

"You know if you don't think you'll be able to do it, I could lend you the money."

Tatiana's words snapped my out of my mind and instantly a sneer crossed my face. "No, I'm going to get the money."

"I was just saying—"

"I know what you were saying," I snipped I've been handed my fair share of pity glances and charity cases for almost as long as I could remember. Tatiana and my relationship had never involved any form of currency. Money, I knew made things a lot more complicated and our easy relationship was the last thing I needed added stress to me. Though, I knew five thousand dollars wasn't a lot for her, it was for me. "But I'm telling you that I've got it all under control."

Raising her hand in surrender I took a steadying breath before bidding her goodbye. There were minutes left to spare before my English course was starting.

I walked past busy students rushing in and out of classes. Most of them with their noses in books while others sat in large crowd in the blossoming grass quizzing each other for upcoming midterms. It was only when I saw a familiar head of curly blond hair did I speed my pace up to catch up with him. "Long time no see," I chided looking up to see a man who only resembled Elliot in everything but spirit.

Cold blue eyes washing over me, I saw only the heavy bags on top of his cheekbones and scruff on his jaw and unpressed clothes was enough to build concern. "Hey, Wright, it's good to see you." It seemed like he meant every word as his voice lifted slightly.

"Are you alright?" I asked stopped him with a hand on his wrist.

Elliot nodded lazily. "I'm fine."

I observed him, taking in his unbalanced appearance which if I hadn't known any better was an obvious cry for help. "Tatiana told me about your trip to New York. How you haven't been coming out of your room or going to any of your classes."

He swallowed and looked around for an explanation before watching me again. No guard. "It's just family stuff."

"Why don't you tell me what's going on with you and I'll tell you what's happening with me," I said and despite him obviously wanting nothing less, I could sense a bit of relief in him. "Maybe we can help each other out with our problems."

Though, I always made sure not to go to The Bar when I wasn't working. Today called for a different purpose. Because it was early in the morning, there was barely anyone inside leaving the place unusual quiet, but still busy enough for nobody to pay us any mind while we talked.

"Hey Harriet," Miranda, one of the morning employees smiled at me. "Haven't seen you in a while."

"Yeah, my class schedule changed so I'm usually only working the afternoon and closing shifts now."