Chapter 22

*A/N: sorry I haven't updated sooner but here is the next chapter, please don't hate me as I kind of left it as a cliffhanger last time and the cliff hanger won't be sort of finished until the next chapter as with this chapter (spoiler alert) will have a different cliff hanger... It's how I write I'm sorry.
Anyway I will post the next chapter on the 22nd or 23rd depending on where you live in remembrance of 2 years since the split and it'll be a good one so please tune it haha! Anyway don't forget to enjoy the chapter, comment and vote! Love Bec/MFK xx

Chapter 22

When I step outside its like I forget there is anything other than the house. It unsettles me. The feel of the plush carpet under my converse and then the shock of hard cement shocks me. The warm air disappearing with a shockwave of blistering cold. The way my lips become dry and I need to constantly lick and nibble at them to find comfort.

"Let's get you into the car." Frank mumbles taking my hand and leading it to the crook of his elbow. I flinch a little, not that I didn't enjoy the sparks at the touch but at the thought of the previous night I feel tense. Never had I had so much anger and passion in one event. The fear that came with it too.

"No. Lets walk. I want to feel free." I tell him as I stand with my head held so my hair ruffles in the breeze. Then I hear the car door shut with a jump and a small tug on my hand that makes me jolt and stutter with my balance.

"If you say so." He sighs, before the walk the Jersey streets.

I try to remember what it used to look like, how the sidewalk was a mottled grey, the trees bare all year apart from the first days of spring where they would blossom with the colour of blush and baby powder. The sound of kids rushing to the bus stop on the way to school, their mothers calling their wishes of a good day behind them. I would laugh as they lived in a work of pretend, their hands intricate characters and patterns as they explored their own fantasies.

I hear the cars rush past us, the sound of music from a bedroom window and the muffled chatter from inside the stores as we walk past them.

"Take me to the art store and go get the car." I tell him in a bout of confidence, I just want some time to myself to think things through. I was so confused and having him with me, touching me and being close to me made it even harder to focus. All I could think about was being with him, of kissing him and loving him.

"Are you sure?" he says stunned, I know he's raised a perfectly sculpted eyebrow, he's poked his tongue out to pull his lip ring into his mouth.

I nod and feel the silence and warmth wash over me as he guides me into a store. My store.

"Do you need me to help you to anything before I go?" He asks looking up at me expectantly.

I tower over him and shake my head, I give his hand a squeeze and feel his body move instinctively to mine. I want to kiss him, hold me to me, but I can't. Not here. "I'm home." I breathe out knowing this store like the back of my hand.

He says goodbye and leaves me to look around, I find my way walking over the black and white checkered floor in my mind, walking down the small individual aisles I remember to be packed with colours, textures and patterns.

"Gerard, welcome back." I hear the friendly familiar voice of Mrs Green as I round the corner by the check out.

"It's good to be back." I sigh running my fingers along the counter. "Can you pack me the usual stock?" I ask hoping she remembers. When I was starting out in this I saved up as much as I could to by almost every item in this store, since then the owned treated me like family. After my accident I had Mikey get me whatever I needed to try and draw again. Much of my supply was dry and useless.

"Of course. It's so lovely seeing you again. Its good to have a passion in your life, I'm glad you've found him." She says touching my cheek with cold calloused fingers yet soft and comforting.

"Me too." I sigh before I am taken to the reality I have to face. The hospital.

"Gerard, great to see you again. Frank." Dr Pearson says leading me into his office and presumably shaking Frank's hand in greeting.

"I wish I could say the same about you." I grumble in spite, he knew I hated doing this- having to be poked and prodded by a man who smelt of Brute and sugar laces- an odd mix that made my stomach churn. I feel I jab to my ribs by a familiar pointy elbow and my scowl flickers into a small smile.

" Oh hush, you like me really, Gerard and I have a love hate relationship with our appointments." he chuckles as he settles across the desk from us. He's happy which is a good sign... I think. Today is not a day to have my eyes drained but today I discuss my future.

"Only because you love to torture me and I hate to dissapoint by not showing up." I cock my head to the side playfully.

"Now now, careful there wouldn't want the word to get out that I let you get away with it. And I don't think you'll he saying that very soon. I have news." and with those words I heard Frank suck in a breath, I lean closer and we hold hands between us. His grip tight with anxiety, mine with desperation.

"There is a new treatment, a small surgery that will alter the way the blood flows to the eye so instead of collecting under the cornea it is cauterized to stop the flow. I'm not promising your sight back but there are chances of improvement. We need to move fast, there are limited places and just say the words and you'll be in."

There is silence after his words.

I feel my stomach drop, my palms go clammy and a tickle in my throat that tries to stop me from breathing. I choke on my breath a little, I gulp down to speak and before I can think I say the word that determines my future.

"Okay."