Chapter 26

بِسْمِ ٱللَّهِ ٱلرَّحْمَٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيم

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

Assalaamu Alaikum 🧕🏾

Surprise! 🥳

Not edited

Enjoy 😊

🥀🥀🥀
Laylah

It was a week after the surgery and maama had woken up. The family was glad about that but no one could celebrate.

I pulled the blanket off my body and went to take a shower. I took a view of my room from the bathroom door. It was clean. Too clean. Even messing up a room required energy.

There were no clothes on the floor because I was only wearing the first abaya I took off the hanger. The dresser was also tidy, I didn't do any makeup or skincare even though my skin was breaking out terribly from all the over thinking and lack of sleep. The only thing I was able to do properly was study. It was a good distraction. I spent hours going through documents daily without really getting anything into my head.

Everyone around me including my closest relatives were coming up with the most ridiculous speculations. That I and my family planned Adnaan's kidnapping so I could inherit his wealth.

Of course, we weren't as wealthy as the AA's but my family was doing pretty well, especially after the deal we got for the marriage.

At this point, most people assumed him dead, but I didn't think so, we weren't exactly a happy couple but if he died I would maybe feel it right?

It was after zuhr time and I thought it was a good enough time for me to go out. The people in the house were less at this time so I could go have breakfast.

I walked down the stairs and met Ameerah sitting on the sofa peacefully watching TV.

And of course, my favorite people in the world, nosy aunties (note the sarcasm) I had been seeing a lot of them recently. My family's home turned into a hangout for them. They all came here to show their "concern" and in the meantime deprived me of the right to eat or even live freely.

Of course, I cared that he was missing, but they didn't have to make a huge deal of it after knowing well how our four-month marriage was arranged and purely for business reasons.

"Ya laylah good afternoon" ameerah rushed to me. Making my presence noticeable to the very people I was trying to avoid.

I smiled vaguely and greeted "ina wuni (good afternoon)"

"Zo eata, Kai kiga har taayi duhu wallahi (come to my daughter, look how much darker she got)"  aunty Maryam said as she motioned for me to come closer.

Darker? Okay, the exaggeration was too much.

" kiyi ta addua, Allah Zai kaawo shi lafiya in sha Allah (keep praying, Allah will bring him back safely in sha Allah)" Aunty Halima added.

I nodded slowly and glanced at mommy, It was obvious how tired she was of these visits. Even people who didn't come to her after her mother's death came this time, it was like they were waiting for it to happen.