Chapter 12

a/n

so sorry for the long wait you guys :((( i won't bore you with reasons. here's a long chapter to make up for it :)

~ Fred ~

On Sunday morning after breakfast, Fred goes to the library. He figures that he might as well get his school work done now instead of pushing it until the last second tonight. That, and he wants to distract himself from thinking about what Evelyn and her boyfriend are doing. She had barely stopped by breakfast that morning, instead grabbing a couple of plates of food and bringing them back to her room. That probably means that she and Nick had a nice, romantic, breakfast in bed. Gross.

He's pretty sure that Nick is leaving tonight, and he positively cannot wait. It means that there will be less of a reminder walking around that Evelyn got with another guy two seconds after she was with him. Evelyn is still plenty of a reminder, but at least everyone at meals won't be asking how Nick was liking Hogwarts or what they were going to do that day, or how their date was. He's just waiting for the moment that boy leaves so that he can be at peace again.

He can't quite focus on the words on the page of the Herbology book that he's been trying to read for the past twenty minutes. He'll think that he's been reading it, but the second that he gets to the end of the page, he'll realize that he absorbed absolutely none of it.

He tries to get through the page one last time but fails, so he gets up and goes to search for the DADA book that he's supposed to read a passage from. Dark arts are always more fascinating to him for some reason.

He's scanning through the books to find the author's last name when he hears Ginny enter the library -- that loud, disruptive laugh unmistakeable. He rolls his eyes. With Ginny normally comes the whole group: Luna, Padma, Hermione, and, of course, Evelyn.

When he gets back to his table, he's surprised to see that it's only three of them, Luna and Padma missing from the group. Their backs are turned to his table, the three of them huddled together on one side of the table that's only meant to seat two people, so they don't see him walk up to his respective table and sit down.

He wonders if he should make his presence known, if sitting within hearing distance of them without them knowing he's there is weird, but he doesn't feel like talking to Evelyn. He doesn't even know why she's away from her boyfriend for more than ten minutes, she had seemed to avoid that at all times over the weekend.

He sets his book down rather loudly in the hope that they'll turn around and see him so that he can just give a little awkward wave and turn back to his studies, but they're too immersed in their hushed gossiping to notice him.

He rolls his eyes and gets started on his reading, finding paying attention even harder now that Evelyn is sitting only a table away from him.

"Okay, okay," Evelyn is saying, her words interrupting his attempt at reading. "We came here to do homework. Let's actually do it."

He finds himself actually agreeing with her for once.

Hermione nods and starts to get out her books and although Ginny seems reluctant, she gets her books out too. Fred silently thanks them and gets to his reading, putting all of his efforts into ignoring the fact that Evelyn is seated right next to him.

He only gets ten minutes of silence before his sister is interrupting him again.

"So, Evelyn," she says, balancing her elbow on the table with her chin propped up in the palm of her hand. Evelyn sighs and pulls herself away from whatever she was writing.