Chapter 21

a/n

long. ass. chapter.

~ Evelyn ~

The impromptu party slowly starts to wind down, most of the students either too drunk, too cold, or too tired to continue on much longer. A few good-hearted students start to drunkenly untransfigure most of the party equipment and vanish the things that were never transfigured in the first place, mostly returning the open patch in the field to the state that it had been in when they arrived. There are still some stragglers, either giggling amongst themselves or drunkenly wandering around confusedly, but people have mostly begun to make their way back to their tents.

Evelyn isn't far behind, slowly starting to wander over to where she's pretty sure her and Luna's tent is. She's still a bit tipsy—it's probably why she doesn't feel the cold that has seeped in to replace the sun that had set hours ago—but she's nowhere near how drunk she had been an hour ago. She, Hermione, Luna, and Ginny had all decided not to care that they had to get up early for the quidditch game the next morning, especially since Hermione had thought to pack a few hangover potions, so Evelyn had joined them in guzzling down her fair share of the liquor that had been passed around the students. The party hadn't differed much from the other one's that she'd attended so far that year, mostly consisting of laughter, a bit of dancing, and a couple of drinking games, but it had been fun nonetheless. The parties always are.

She frowns as she approaches the tents, her head spinning and making the tent layout even more confusing than it needs to be. They all look exactly the same, each identical in color, size, and distance from each other, serving to puzzle her already inebriated brain.

After a few minutes, she's pretty sure that she finds her own tent, but she still winces when she pushes the flap open to peek inside, mentally crossing her fingers that she's not intruding in someone else's space. There's no way to knock on a tent, really.

She steps inside to find that it is, in fact, her own tent, but she strongly wishes that it hadn't been. Oblivious to her silent presence, Luna and Ginny are on Luna's bed, Luna straddling Ginny's lap. Her hair is all flipped to one side, allowing Evelyn a full view of where her mouth is latched onto Ginny's neck. Ginny has her head thrown back, her eyes shut and her mouth open in a silent moan. Her hands trail up Luna's sides, taking the sides of her shirt with them to expose her soft, milky, skin and Evelyn needs to get out of there. Now.

"Fuck, sorry guys," she quickly gets out, shielding her eyes from the couple. "I'll, um, get out of your hair. You guys can have the tent tonight." She quickly grabs the smaller of her two bags -- the one that has everything but her clothes -- and thanks Merlin that she hadn't thought to unpack her bags instead of leaving them right beside the entrance.

She hears a quick "Thanks!" from Ginny as she leaves, but it's quickly muffled by both of their giggles. Evelyn rolls her eyes with a smile at her two friends, but it quickly falls from her face when she realizes that she now has nowhere to sleep. And that it's fucking freezing outside. She still has quite a bit of alcohol thrumming through her veins, so she doesn't feel it as much as she should, but it's enough to hurry her along in finding a warm tent to sleep in.

She scans the tents around her, the rows of identical tents looking even more confusing to her alcohol-ridden brain. She tries to remember who she knows that is staying in one of the tents around her, but she only remembers unfamiliar faces of students from different houses from her and in different years. She wishes now more that Padma would have come along on the trip, but she and Parvati had elected to say home. She racks her brain to try to remember where Hermione is staying, but can't come up with anything.