Chapter one

To believe in destiny is to believe that everything in one's life has been planned out before they were to step foot in the world. To believe in destiny is to have coincidences take place that are so strong, so powerful, they no longer feel like coincidences anymore. One cannot simply brush it off as a mere force of serendipity.

Imagine this. The world has predesigned everything for you in life. A pre design that dictates everything from the career path you take, to the friends you make and the partner you choose. People were quite possibly predestined to be together as long as you believed. At least, that's what JJ's mother told him.

From the very day that JJ could talk, his mother, Lucy, would speak to him of legends, myths and folklore from eastern culture. Those in such culture, she would say, uphold the idea of destiny and fate in very high regard. Japan and China, two countries' cultures rooted in spirituality, have many of these things. The one belief that they uphold that was JJ's mothers utmost favourite was the legend of the red thread of fate.

There was one topic in particular that Lucy spoke about to JJ that had him buzzing with hope. The feelings one felt upon meeting the person destined for them. She would say, "When you meet someone new, you may feel that special connection, that strong pull. Like the universe is digging in deep to help you find that one person. Those are the rare moments that get you to believe in destiny, right?" JJ would not, leaning forward in his seat, desperate for more. "The red thread of fate is an overly popular belief in Japan and China, that is also similar to the idea of a soulmate or a twin flame. The legend has it that in every person, there exists an unbreakable string of fate that binds two souls that are destined to be together. That an invisible red string connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place, or circumstances.The yarn can stretch or contract but it could never break."

But over time, as JJ grew older and the house that was once a home grew louder, things changed. People changed. Luke slowly lost himself to alcohol and drugs, constantly being fired from jobs, and every time that that would happen, he would come home shit faced and pass out on the couch. At times, he got far too close to laying a hand on his loved ones.

Every time that JJ would lay in bed listening to their screaming matches, he would think of what Lucy spoke about. Would think about how she truly believed that she and Luke were destined to be together, and look at what that led to? Consistent fights, slamming doors, breaking of glasses and plates and anything they could get their hands on, until Lucy had had enough. Left in the middle of the day while JJ was at school and Luke was at work, leaving a small note of 'I'm sorry, I can't take it anymore. Love, mum'. Since that day, JJ had not seen nor heard from Lucy.

But that doesn't necessarily  mean that she was wrong about her and Luke. They could have very well been destined to be together, that doesn't mean though that it would be forever. Nothing can always last forever.

As JJ grew older, grew reckless, his beliefs in destiny and having that one person connected to him vanished. Through the constant beatings by Luke, through the constant fights and inability to get in touch with Lucy, JJ couldn't bring himself to believe anymore.

Soulmates weren't real, and never would be real. That didn't include JJ's friends, however. Didn't include John B, Sarah, Kiara and Cleo. They were the lucky ones. They had found their person that they were destined to meet, and JJ was left for himself. Alone. Tired. Unloveable.

Unloveable. That was a word Luke had been shouting recently as he punched JJ's face into the dirt, as he kicked at his stomach, strangled him until the blood in his mouth spilled down his chin. JJ was unloveable. He always would be, for nobody would stoop so low to be with him, to fall in love with him. That's what had been drilled into JJ's mind, and it must be true if it's coming from his own father. His own blood.

That is, until he showed up, and JJ's life suddenly filled with a new light.

******
This is where it can be found on AO3!!

******This is where it can be found on AO3!!