Chapter Nineteen

AN: I have no idea how court works lmao

"We're home." Pope calls out, closing the door behind JJ and kicking off his shoes. The setting sun shines through the glass on the door, illuminating shadows across the walls and the wooden floor. "Ma?"

"Mrs Heyward?" JJ says, disappearing into the kitchen where the banging of cupboards could be heard, along with the glorious smell of her infamous stew.

Gazing up from the crockpot, Mrs Heyward smiles warmly. "Hi, boys." Waving JJ over, she holds out a spoonful of food, placing it to JJ's lips.

JJ swallows it with a hum, unable to suppress his smile. "Now that's what I call a stew."

Mrs Heyward laughs, kissing JJ's temple. "How was the night away?" She asks, throwing the spoon into the sink.

"It was good." JJ replies, smiling softly at the feeling of Pope's arms circling around his waist, his lips planting a kiss to JJ's neck. "A nice distraction."

"Is that your stew I smell?" Questions Pope, eyebrows furrowing together. "You only make that when you have news."

Sighing, Mrs Heyward turns to face the couple, suddenly serious. "While you were away, I got a call from the Sheriff's department stating that after letting Luke go and reading over your statement, he was back in their custody awaiting his court hearing."

JJ feels faint all of a sudden, falling back into Pope's arms and clutching on tight to the arm that scoops around his middle. Pope holds him steady, mumbling a small 'whoa, JJ' under his breath.

"His court date is next week." Mrs Heyward continues, slow and steady. "You can either make another statement in court or write a letter."

Falling forward, JJ clutches onto Mrs Heyward tightly like a lifeline, breathing deeply, heart pounding. She catches him with ease, tucking his face into the crook of her neck. "It's okay, baby."

JJ stutters over his words, gasping in breaths, holding back tears. "How.. How? They've never believed me."

"Your friends fought for you." She says, kissing his temple. "Brought in pieces of evidence and made their own statements. Heyward and I fought for you."

The words have JJ falling over the edge, sobbing and whimpering into her shoulder. Nobody had ever fought for him before, not like this, not this hard. The relief was an unusual feeling, something JJ hardly ever felt when it came to himself. All his life, he was fighting for survival, fighting for love, fighting to no longer be afraid. All JJ had been was alone.

"You're not alone in your fight anymore, JJ." Whispers Pope, wrapping his body around JJ's back in a comforting manner. "Whatever it is you decide, I'm behind you every step of the way."

JJ was no longer alone.

All the crying he had been doing today has him growing tired. Pope carries JJ to his room, JJ's face resting against Pope's collarbone, the shaking of his body finally at ease. He lays him down on the bed, removing the moon boot and covering him with the blankets, turning around to leave, when JJ's croaky voice stops him in his tracks.

"Don't go." He whispers, sniffling. "Please.. I.. I don't want to be alone."

Nodding, Pope crawls in under the covers with JJ, lifting his arm for JJ to cuddle into his side. "I'm here." Assures Pope, running his fingertips up and down JJ's arm. "I'm here, love."

JJ is out like a light, holding onto Pope's side, chest stuttering as he breathes. Gazing down, Pope combs the hair back from JJ's face, tracing his fingers over JJ's cheeks in calming motions. It scared him, the amount of pressure JJ was under. From seeing his mother, to hearing his father had been placed back into the sheriff's custody, Pope couldn't imagine how heavy JJ must feel under all of it.