Chapter twenty three

The house is much larger, much more extravagant than JJ could have ever imagined it to be. Pale, cream bricks paint the exterior, caramel tinted bricks melting in between to create shapes and dimensions. The roof holds a nice, deep grey colour, along with large windows to allow the sun to shine through the home. Everything seemed so bright, so full of life. Even the grass was a bright green, healthy as ever.

JJ's mouth is wide open, pure shock coiling through his veins, his eyes wide. "Holy shit." He mutters, almost dropping the box held in his arms to the floor.

"Since when could an underpaid teacher afford something like this?" Voices Kiara, eyebrows raised, hands on her hips.

Shrugging, Sarah passes her a box, taking the last one for herself. "No idea, but it's beautiful."

"God, dude." Cleo says, bumping shoulders with JJ as they make their way up to the front door. "You are so lucky. Are you gonna go full kook?"

Laughing, JJ shakes his head. "Nah, being a pogue seems good enough."

Raising his fist, JJ knocks on the wooden door, stepping back slightly. It opens in an instant, a nicely dressed Miss Davis appearing, smiling warmly. "Hello, everyone." she greets, opening the door further. "Come on in. Is that everything?" She motions to the small boxes and simple bag, eyes slightly wide.

"Yup." Replies JJ, giving her a quick hug before hurrying inside. "I don't have much."

They pile in one after the other, before trailing up the stairs behind Miss Davis, gawking at the amount of rooms and the expensive paintings on the wall. Within OuterBanks, the teachers were mostly highly underpaid, so for the teens to see their teacher in such a beautiful home was a shock.

"This is your room." Says Miss Davis, pushing open the door and revealing a large space awaiting JJ's things to pull it all together, a king sized bed situated in the center of the room.

Most of the walls were painted white, only one holding a pale blue, one of JJ's favourite colours, matching the light wood chest of drawers and bedside table. JJ could not stop gawking, his eyes wide, excitement pooling in his stomach.

"Wow," breathes JJ, stepping inside, gasps following after him.

Miss Davis seems anxious all of a sudden, hands held together in front of her. "Is it too much?" she asks. "We can change it if you don't like it."

Shaking his head, JJ turns to face her, a smile brightening his face. "No, I love it." he hands Pope the box he had been holding, embracing her tightly. "Thank you."

Smiling into the hug, Miss Davis circles her arms around JJ's waist. "I'll leave you to get settled." breaking away, she pats his cheek. "We're having a barbecue in an hour, you are all more than welcome to stay." She exits the room with one last smile, the door closing behind her.

"Seriously though," Kiara says, cutting the tape on the boxes. "Where did she get all this money?"

"Who cares?" Voices John B, belly flopping onto JJ's bed with a sigh. "JJ's finally getting the home he deserves."

Stepping to JJ's side, Pope smiles, wrapping his arm around JJ's waist. "Exactly."

******

A soft knock echoes around the quiet room, bouncing off the walls and hitting the couples ears. JJ's eyes flutter, adjusting to the warm light shining through the curtains, the arms held around his waist tightening just the slightest, pulling him further into Pope's chest. "Come in," mumbles JJ, snuggling into the heavenly soft pillow under his head.

The door pushes open, dragging across the carpet. "Sorry to wake you." Whispers Miss Davis, smiling at the sight. "We're starting the barbeque, come down when you're ready." Closing the door once more, all that can be heard are her soft, retreating footsteps and the easy breaths of Pope, his chest rising up and down.