Chapter twenty five

It has been a year since that night JJ and Pope spent out on the water on Heywards boat, talking away to their heart's content. It has been a year since JJ wrote that song for Pope, a year since JJ admitted his feelings and a year since he and Pope became official.

Graduation was close by, as was Christmas and leaving for university. Turns out, Pope wasn't the only one with the ability to get out of town and start a new life. Kiara was going off to study marine biology, Cleo mechanics, and Sarah fashion design. John B was content with just finding a job, and JJ was already making a good amount of money posting his music online.

After the Christmas break of their life, the pogues were all leaving Outer Banks and heading to the flat Miss Davis was able to purchase for them. It was not far from their universities, nor was it far from town where John B could easily put in for a job.

JJ and Miss Davis have grown closer if that were even possible. It was slow and steady, but JJ was throwing in the title 'mum' and 'dad' to Miss Davis and her partner Benji, for they truly felt more like his parents than his own.

Leaning back against Pope's chest, his arms snug around JJ's waist, JJ sighs happily, gazing up at the twinkling stars in the navy blue sky. A blanket was laid out beneath them, something that always had its place on the roof of JJ's home. He was happy, content for the first time in years. "I can't wait  to eat pancakes for dinner, go out on the weekends and get dressed up just to get undressed." Breathes JJ, turning his head to gaze into those brown eyes he loved so dearly, a smile on his lips.

Mirroring the expression, Pope kisses JJ's lips. "Only a few more weeks and your song will come true, my love."

For JJ, love is usually something that hurts, that makes him hurt, makes him want to scream and cry and shout until he no longer can. Being in love with Pope was scary for him, but it was different. For Pope loved JJ so much that he spent every second he could by his side, telling him how strong he is and how Pope loves him so. Pope hadn't abandoned JJ when he needed him most, Pope hadn't left when things got hard for them. Pope never left. And JJ can't help but think, so this is what real love feels like.

Through everything they have been through, destiny told JJ that they will be stuck with one another for the rest of their lives. And JJ was more than okay with that.