Chapter twenty one

The room JJ slept in was much darker in the mornings than Pope's, which allowed the blonde teen to get another hour or two of sleep before his body forced him to wake up. However, this morning was not the case. The soft touch of lips is what awakens JJ from his slumber, travelling over his face and ending with a peck to his lips.

Fluttering his eyes open, JJ smiles at the slightly blurry figure of Pope in front of him, sitting on the bed with a tray in his hands, pancakes placed neatly on the plate along with a glass of juice. "What's all this?" He asks, sitting himself up.

"Breakfast in bed for the birthday boy, of course." Replies Pope, setting the tray down over JJ's lap and kissing his temple, caressing his cheek lovingly. "It's a Heyward tradition."

Laughing, JJ shakes his head. "Thank you, babe. Maybe once a month we should set a day for breakfast in bed."

Pope smiles. "I like the sound of that. Oh, and one more thing." reaching behind himself, Pope pulls out a wrapped box, holding it out to JJ to take. "A gift for the birthday boy."

"Pope." JJ says, taking the gift. "You didn't need to get me anything."

"Of course I did, don't hide how much you love getting gifts."

"Oi." JJ slaps Pope lightly on the arm, pouting.

Pope chuckles. "C'mon, you and I both know you love giving and receiving gifts. Now open it."

Rolling his eyes, JJ does as he's told, ripping open the box and gasping at the item inside of it. A few years back on JJ's birthday, back when he absolutely hated it, Pope had given him a shark tooth necklace that JJ always wore. Held within the box was a round piece of glass holding a butterfly within it, black string tied through a small hole. "Oh my God.. how.."

"I saw those frames of yours filled with butterflies." Says Pope, shrugging. "I thought that you would like having a butterfly necklace."

"It's amazing." Breathes JJ, pressing a kiss to Pope's lips and slipping it over his head. "How did you get it in the glass?"

"An artist never reveals its secrets."

JJ rolls his eyes. "C'mere, golden boy."

Lunging forward, JJ latches his lips to Pope's, hands cupping his cheeks. "Thank you for such an amazing gift."

"Of course." Replies Pope. "Only the best for my boy."

Turns out, the rest of the gang were waiting downstairs with their own gift for JJ, one that has him gasping once more and throwing his arms around each and every one of them. A beautiful, chestnut acoustic guitar is held in his hands, a small bow tied to the top. "We thought it was about time that you got your own." Is all that John B says when JJ questions them, patting JJ's back.

"Good morning everyone." Mrs Heyward greets upon entering the living room, dressing gown tied snug around her waist. Her eyes fall on JJ, a large smile painting her lips, and she walks over, kissing the crown of his head. "Happy birthday, honey. Heyward and I wanted to give you a little something."

A box is placed in JJ's outstretched hand, small, the item held within causing a gasp to burst from JJ's lips. A simple, yet old looking silver ring stares back at him, still in perfect condition for its age. "It was my fathers." She explains. "I thought it would be perfect for you."

With eyes wide and his mouth agape, JJ looks up from the box to face his boyfriend's parents. "But this is a family heirloom. Shouldn't Pope be the one getting it? I'm not family.."

Mrs Heyward smiles. "You are family, JJ. And plus, Pope isn't really the ring wearing type."

"Except for a wedding ring." Pope cuts in. "That's the only exception."