Chapter twelve

The warmth of the sun on tan skin and the soft crashing of waves forces JJ's eyes to flutter open, the sudden tickle of Pope's breath fanning through his hair, dancing across his scalp. Blinking slowly, adjusting to the light, JJ realises he is snuggled into Pope's chest, their legs tangled together. "Morning." Pope says, voice deep, filled with sleep.

Yawning softly, stretching his arms up and pulling himself into a seated position, JJ smiles. "Morning."

Pope does the same, clutching the side of his head, eyes flicking around and down to the simple towel thrown over the both of them. They blow wide, mouth dropping open and closed, gaping like a fish, as though he could not remember how on earth they got there. Not even bothering to ask, Pope throws JJ his clothes from the sand, already in the middle of pulling on his own.

Blushing shyly, JJ quickly does the same. All of last night comes throttling back and JJ can't stop himself from smiling at the floor. It had been so perfect. The scenery, the touch of Pope's lips on his own, their bodies flush together. Even the ache in JJ's lower back couldn't stop his beaming smile.

"Let's head back," Pope calls over his shoulder, and JJ looks up to find him getting ready to untie the boat.

Oh.

The entire way back to John B's, an awkward, tense silence is held between the two males. They do not talk, not that JJ would even know how to start a conversation with the atmosphere as it was. Did Pope regret them having sex? Did he find JJ disgusting? So many thoughts fly around JJ's mind, pinging off of one another, that suddenly, he can't breathe. His chest was tight, throat burning, eyes stinging with tears. Pope hated him.

Upon their arrival, John B is already waiting for them, helping the two in tying up the rope to its usual post. "Look who decided to come back." He teases, taking the towels from Pope's outstretched hands.

JJ smiles at him, trying to ignore the way that his heart aches as Pope walks off inside to the others, refusing to even look JJ in the eye. John B takes a stand beside JJ, confusion etched onto his face. "What's up with him?"

At the concerned tone of John B's voice, JJ allows the tears to fall, cupping a hand over his mouth, sobs slipping past his lips. John B's eyes widen, before his arms are wrapping around JJ's shaking body, rubbing circles in his back. And when JJ finally calms himself down, he lets everything slip out. The beach, the kissing, sleeping together. Everything.

"I think Pope might regret it." Whispers JJ, voice cracking with emotion. "Why else would he be so quiet and tense?"

Sighing softly, John B wraps his arm around JJ's shoulders, pulling JJ into his side. JJ goes with the motion easily, leaning his head on John B's shoulder. "I think you should talk to him." He says. "Maybe he just needs some reassurance of everything that happened?"

Nodding slowly, shrugging, JJ sighs. "Yeah, maybe."

Leading them inside, JJ takes the plate of toast from Kiara's outstretched hand, sitting himself down on the couch and forcing the food down. Pope keeps his distance, not bothering to even speak to JJ until the other male pokes him on the shoulder, motioning for them to go outside. Pope nods, somewhat hesitant, and follows behind JJ out the door, the rest of the group voicing their confusion. JJ ignores them.

Sucking in a deep breath once they are at a safe distance away from the house, JJ sighs. "I think we should maybe.. address the elephant in the room." He whispers, clearing his throat, rubbing the back of his neck. Doing anything in his power not to look Pope in the eye.

"Yeah.." Responds Pope, voice strained, awkward. "I.. I don't remember much of what happened, everything after us making a fire on the beach is a bit of a blur."