Chapter nine

It takes JJ three days to fully be able to walk again. Takes him three days to be able to breathe steady, to be able to not throw up, to not have blood mixed in with the contents. One eye was swollen shut, whereas the other had a deep cut across it, making sight blurry and the bruises on JJ's skin worse whenever he tried to move.

He gave no contact to the others, no matter how many times they called or texted, no matter how many times they threatened to come around and go to the sheriff. JJ didn't lift a finger. He didn't want them knowing how bad things were getting, didn't want them knowing that he was too weak to fight back and protect himself.

Even though the pain had not subsided and his vision was still slightly altered, JJ forced himself to go to school to ease the worry in his friends' hearts and to get away from Luke. Ever since he attacked JJ, nearly fucking killed him, Luke had not been around the house and JJ did not want to stick around for when he was to return.

Walking around the side of the building, JJ summons up as much strength as he could muster to face his friends. It was hardly ever that he went aywal, didn't respond to texts or calls, and now that he had, JJ was terrified. What if they scream at him? What if they make him go to the sheriff? That's all that was in JJ's head. What if, what if, what if.

The first one to catch sight of JJ is Pope. Their eyes lock, and relief filters across Pope's face in an instant, before washing over with fear and worry once more at the sight of JJ's bruises. He practically leaps from his seat, altering the mood in the air between the rest of the group, and throws his arms around JJ so tightly, JJ can't withstand the wince of pain from his lips any longer.

"You're alive," breathes Pope, sounding as though he were about to cry.

JJ stands, perfectly stunned in Pope's arms, unable to move at the amount of pain flowing through his veins. "Of course I'm alive." JJ jokes, pulling away and patting Pope's cheek.

Popes hands come up suddenly, holding themselves back just before JJ's face, before cupping his cheeks and moving his head around to look at the cuts and bruises. "Did Luke do this to you?"

Flinching, JJ shakes his head, then nods, then shakes it again, tears filling his eyes. Pope was frightened, worried. It was evident in the expression on his face and the way his eyes never left JJ's face, watching, trying to catch any lies.

"JJ!" Shouts Kiara, the sound of the rest of the group's footsteps flowing through the air, then, arms throw themselves around JJ and Pope, holding on tight.

JJ winces, but melts into the embrace with a sniffle. There was no way he was able to deny what had happened. For once in his life, he needed to be honest with the others. Needed to be honest about what happened. "He found out." JJ's voice breaks at the intensity of his sobs, hiding his sore face in the crook of Pope's neck, seemingly only at ease in the other boy's arms. "My dad... someone told him.. told him I'm gay.."

"Why didn't you call us?" Questions Sarah. "You can trust in us, JJ."

Coughing and spluttering, JJ pulls away, shaking out his hands. "I couldn't move." He whispers with a shrug. "I couldn't bring myself to call you guys.. I.. I didn't want you to find out I couldn't protect myself."

Stepping forward, John B takes JJ into his arms, holding him so gently, so full of love, JJ refuses to let go. "It's okay." He says, rubbing JJ's back. "It's okay."

It isn't until the bell rings that JJ and John B break away, reassurances being spoken between them softly. Kiara, Sarah and Cleo each have a hug with JJ, kissing his cheek and telling him that everything is going to be okay. It only makes JJ cry more.

He hated being vulnerable. He hated letting his friends in on his home life, on his ever breaking family. He hated being seen as anything other than their laughter-inducing friend who always smiled and told jokes to make them feel better. Vulnerability was not an option for JJ. It lets people in. Let's people know everything that was happening in his life that he would rather keep to himself.