35.

content warning: cults, identity fraud/impersonation, political conflict and some pretty intense emotions about it

***

Shadowhunter

When I wake up, Permafrost has already started pacing around the room.

I roll over, pulling the sheets over my head. "What're you doooing?" I whimper.

"Great. You're up." She claps her talons together. "I've taken a bath, brushed my teeth, eaten breakfast, and finished a scroll about the psychology of cult leaders, and condensed my notes on said scroll into big ideas per chapter to increase my understanding of the topic. I am prepared for the day."

She has these gorgeous diamonds on, catching the morning light. She looks sharp, and confident, and a little terrifying.

"Come back to bed," I mumble.

"We have to strategize," she says, examining herself in the mirror.

"We can strategize in bed..." I yawn.

Permafrost glances at me, and sighs, climbing back into bed. She snuggles up close, scooping me up in her chilly wings. I sigh, nuzzling my snout against hers.

"You look all sparkly," I say through a yawn. "A little scary. I'm into it." I wiggle my eyebrows at her, and she shoves me, rolling her eyes.

"I, um... I felt like looking pretty today," she declares. "Mother said you have to look your best if you want to be successful in life." She plays absently with my talons.

"Well, you always look pretty awesome to me." I meet her eyes.

"Thanks," she admits, laughing a little. "You know, I think we might be getting better at this whole flirting thing."

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Fine-apple."

She bursts into giggles. And she's smiling, and laughing, and the morning sun makes her look like she's been made anew, and... for a moment, I can forget.

"Oh, shoot, um... what was the other one you taught me—oh, I remember." She turns to me, staring me dead in the eyes. "You look familiar, are you sure we haven't had a class together? Because I could have sworn we had chemistry."

I burst out laughing. "Brightmind got their girlfriend with that one, you know."

"No way!"

"Yes. I couldn't believe it either, trust me. I mean, they knew each other before, but still."

I miss my friend more than I'd care to admit. They wrote me a few letters via Mom and Dad--last I heard, they had been considering completely rearranging the New Star, or something. But obviously, I haven't heard from them in a while. And I can't help but worry.

My eyes slip closed, and I snuggle up against Permafrost's chest, listening to the steady sound of her heartbeat.

Just as I'm about to fall back asleep, Jerboa charges through the door, jumping up and down. "Guys, guys, guys! We have a new friend!"

Permafrost hisses. "Did we say you could come on? That was a private moment. Can I not snuggle with my girlfriend in peace? Not everyone wants to spend every waking second with you in their faces, Jerboa." She huffs indignantly, and I fight back a giggle. (Why does her disgruntled face have to be so funny?)

I rub my eyes. "New... friend? What are you talking about?"

"Yeah! Her name's Ember--I think she's Aloe's sister? Anyway, I feel like she's gonna get a really interesting power--I don't know, she just seems like the type. Eee! This is so exciting."