60.

Epiphany

Weeks ago, we stood in what Brightmind generously calls an office. The wooden desk was covered in grime, and the ceiling drooped in places.

I couldn't help but brace myself for the moment it was going to fall.

"All right. I don't get it—why is she in here?" I respected their bluntness. They didn't make excuses and they didn't beat around the bush, just said what they meant. It was sort of a relief.

So I decided to return it, lifting my chin. "I'm Princess Epiphany."

They blinked. "Who?"

Gaze sighed, almost laughing. "You weren't paying attention when we had to memorize the royal family in school, were you?"

"Oh, no way," Brightmind said with a shrug. "Me? Memorization? Nope. But I do know that all the heirs to the throne have been killed—Vigilance's line is over."

"Well, I got out. When I was younger. My mother had been preparing to smuggle me out of the kingdom for years; I was prepared. I've been living out in the desert ever since." The words felt surreal and strange to actually say out loud.

Brightmind exchanged a glance with Gaze. Who is she, and why did you bring her here?

"Brightmind. Do you think I would fall for a missing princess scam?" Gaze says calmly.

They think for a moment, then shake their head. "No. I don't. And that means—okay. That is... a lot. To think about. Wait, are you, like, thinking I'm gonna put you back on the throne?"

I turned my locket over in my claws, rubbing the smooth metal. "I just want to help. However I can. I don't think anyone knows how to fix this kingdom's problems, but... someone's gotta try." I looked up to meet their eyes. I wanted to tell them—how I feel like my grandmother hangs over me day and night, how I still can't stop thinking about what my mother would have to say about this. How it doesn't quite feel like they're dead, even though I know they are, they are—and they're never coming back.

"How do I know I can trust you?"

"Because I say so," Gaze interjects. "If you trust me, you trust her. End of story." There's a ferocity to her, a clear calculation I could see unfolding in her mind. I tried to memorize this moment, for all its dust and ineadequacy. The smell of dirt and the claustrophobic warmth, the distant sound of shouting, and the dim light on her face.

Brightmind furrowed their brow. I could almost hear their brain, spinning in place. "I can't believe he let you live."

"I can't either," I said with a shrug.

***

I can hear shouting down the tunnels, reverberating. I push past a small dragonet, murmuring an apology. We've expanded our network more and more over the past few weeks--it's amazing what thirty dragons armed with desperation and makeshift supplies can do. Now we have escape points in most of the major buildings.

They still give me the heebie-jeebies. Last week, they collapsed on somebody, and no one found them for two hours. Brightmind has been working on reinforcing the walls ever since. I can all too clearly imagine the battle that might ensue if we were discovered, soldiers charging down the cramped passageways.

Just keep breathing. Focus on the horizon. Everything in this new kingdom makes me feel boxed in, so I've just got to learn to deal.

I make a left into the network of tunnels, my locket thudding against my chest as I move, like a reminder.