48.

content warning: a lot of descriptions of really bad pain, threats, violation of free will

in other words, it's a sharp eyes chapter. i don't even know the words for the atrocities he's doing at this point.

Sharp-eyes

I made my grandmother a memorial, a few minutes of flying over the barren, clean landscape. Away from the palace. I think she would have liked that.

Even from this far away, I can't escape the mental chatter of my subjects.

I've been trying to practise a trick I know mind-reading dragonets learn; tuning it out as white noise. But it's harder than it sounds, and I don't think any of those dragonets had so much tumult to squish into waves and raindrops.

I unlock the gate, pressing my talon to the bars, and it swings open, revealing a simple garden. Torches light, casting the garden in a sterile white glow. I thought the roses, blooming in perfect shades of black and white, were a nice touch.

I pluck off a few thornless blooms and rest them at Grandmother's talons. Her statue glows, made of pure silver. Like she could be carved straight from one of the moons.

"I brought this for you," I say bitterly. "I did it, Grandmother. Allknowing and Vigilance are gone. And so is your special little Clearsight." I pause. "But you'd understand. It's all about the bigger picture. From the stars, none of this really matters. But I'll run this kingdom better than Clearsight did."

Great. Now I'm talking to myself. I must really be off my rocker.

My talons suddenly buckle beneath my weight—a sharp, electric pain racing through my bones.

A dark tunnel leading to the sea. Darkstalker and Clearsight, dancing together in an ice-carved hall. Shadowhunter and Eclipse, climbing up a glacier in the middle of a storm. Blood on an operating table.

I catch my breath and push myself off the ground, the pain beginning to recede.

None of it poses a threat to my reign. I've already won, I can see it ahead in every timeline. Even if Darkstalker and Clearsight do escape—even if Shadowhunter and Eclipse climb all the mountains they like—I will still have my throne. I have bigger things to worry about.

"I've already won, Grandmother," I continue through gritted teeth. "I have my subjects busy around the clock, with their meaningless busywork, each believing his is vital to the kingdom's security. They're just waiting in place until I come up with a project with real meaning—when I start invading kingdoms, they'll make good soldiers. Everyone worth saving is living in the palace. Whiteout—she's the only dragon whose genius approaches Darkstalker and Clearsight's whose powers I haven't stolen yet. Listener's loyalty could be an asset; she has to be contained. Solstice may understand Darkstalker and Clearsight as well as I do. And Brilliance and Trailblazer are really just there for my entertainment, someone has to cause issues to keep life interesting. And all I have to do is sit back and watch the show. I have the council in a separate chamber, and the third group contains everyone with influence and power; they might be useful later. And I have the dragonets in school. Knowledge is power, Grandmother—you taught me that. And I intend to keep them thoroughly in the dark."

The words settle. I look up to meet the statue's eyes.

"You'd be proud of me, wouldn't you?"

The question lingers in the cold air.

***

I have data coming to me from all over the continent--including my palace. I don't waste my time on the canyon; it's rather dull viewing.