2.

content warning: emotional manipulation, political tension and threats of violence, discussions of genocide

Darkstalker

"The queens agreed to tomorrow at dawn--for a peace negotiation," Clearsight informs Heartfire, as we rush down the hall to our council meeting. We've been sending letters back and forth for a few days now, trying to come to an agreement.

Heartfire makes an agonized meeping sound, starting to hyperventilate. "Oh no. Oh three moons. We're gonna die, we're gonna die, we're gonna die--"

"It's a peace negotiation. No weapons," I say, just as much to him as myself. "And she can't hurt us, there's a magic barrier over the whole kingdom. Remember?"

Heartfire seems to calm down, a little. "Okay, okay, okay..."

Clearsight shoves open the door to the council chamber with her shoulder.

"Thank you all for showing up on such short notice." Clearsight and I sit down at the head of the table. My wife glances down at her talking points. "Two nights ago, the IceWings, SkyWings, and SeaWings set up camp within our territory. They have not breached our defences as of now, and we appear to be at a standstill. Public anxiety is high, and right now our biggest concern is keeping dragons calm. Tomorrow, Darkstalker and I will be meeting with them, in the hopes of negotiating a peace treaty."

Heartfire makes another agonized meeping noise.

I lay my talon over Clearsight's, giving her a little smile. "We'll do another speech first thing tomorrow. I can write it if you want, you look tired."

Rogue groans. "I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Allknowing. At least her and Vigilance didn't have to stop every ten seconds to make goo-goo eyes at each other."

Timeteller shoots him a dirty look.

"No, Vigilance and Allknowing were worse," Sunrise says. "Especially before they got together—all my esteemed advisor and our magnificent queen. I could never tell if they were flirting or just being drippy aristocrats, it was agony."

Clearsight clears her throat. "I know we're running on next to nothing, and all of you are tired. I am too. But right now, we're all that stands between this kingdom and total collapse. So, Rogue, while we're gone, you're in charge of keeping the palace secure. I also want to make sure Darkstalker and I are protected while we're at negotiations since all the other queens will have their own bodyguards. Can you get us a few dragons fit for that job? Do a background check--make sure you don't accidentally hire an Allknowing supporter."

To my surprise, he nods--jotting down notes on his parchment.

"How are the soldiers at the border doing?" I ask. I have a pretty decent understanding of how the military works, so I've been trying to keep tabs on that. "Heartfire?"

Our advisor clears his throat. "Uh, well, there haven't been any casualties." He winces. "These dragons have lost everything to the war, you can't blame them for having hard feelings towards the dragons camped out in our territory. Our tribes have been at war for years."

Clearsight curses under her breath. "We can't have any more fights breaking out. This is a ceasefire. I don't like it either, but we aren't prepared for a battle, and we can't afford to restart the war."