Ch. 17 - A NOVEL APPROACH

Avalon's outfit:

Chapter Seventeen🎭 A Novel Approach 🎭

Chapter Seventeen
🎭 A Novel Approach 🎭

"The Dread Doctors by T.R. McCammon." Lydia read as her, Avalon and Malia walked into the school. Lydia slowed down to a stop as she looked at the book Malia brought, making Malia and Avalon almost run into her. "What?" Avalon asked and Lydia stilled stared at the cover as she started walking again, "I don't know. There's something about it... Has anyone actually read it yet?"

"Just me, and I didn't understand any of it." Malia said making Avalon hummed slightly, "We should probably all read it." She said and Malia nodded. "Kira's working on that." She said and Avalon nodded as they walked up to Malia's locker. 

"Stiles says he can't find anything on the author. He thinks it's a pen name." She said as Avalon now looked at the book before turning it over to read the back. 

"In a small New England town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive. Days later, they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists know only as the Dread Doctors." She read and raised her eyebrows, looking up at them, "Sounds familiar." She said and Malia nodded. 

"How does it end?" Lydia asked and Malia shook her head, "It doesn't. This is supposed to be Volume One." Malia said making Lydia hum. "Oh, let me guess- there is no Volume Two?" Lydia asked and Avalon sighed, "We're probably living volume two." She said.

"Then maybe the real question is... Is this a novel or someone's prediction?"

"Why is your heart beating so fast?" Malia asked turning around as they sat in class making Avalon look over at Lydia who was looking at the book. "Look at this. Look at the Acknowledgements page." Lydia said holding the book out for them to read. 

"For providing scientific perspective and invaluable insight... this book is dedicated to Dr. Gabriel Valack."

🎭

While Scott, Kira, Lydia and Stiles went to Eichen house, Malia and Avalon stayed back and were currently studying in the school library. They both looked up when someone walked up to the table to see Theo sit down next to Avalon, across from Malia.

"Page turners?" He asked making them glance at each other, "Not exactly." Malia said and Theo help up his precalculus text book. "Neither is this." He said and Avalon gave him a weird look before glancing over at Malia.

🎭

After a while of studying Avalon looked down at her watch before sighing softly. "We should probably get going." Avalon said, looking at Malia who nodding before grabbing her stuff. "Need a ride?" Theo asked making Avalon looked at him weird, "Obviously not." She said before grabbing Malia's hand and walking away.

"Wanna drive?" Avalon asked as she and Malia walked towards the car, "Are you sure?" Malia asked and Avalon nodded. "Just dont crash my car." She said as she held her keys out and Malia stared at her for a moment before grabbing the keys.

A little while late, Avalon glanced over at Malia and smiled slightly. "I probably shouldn't be saying this but we can go a little faster, if you want." Avalon said making Malia glance at her, "I'm doing the speed limit." She said and Avalon nodded. "Yeah, but no one does the speed limit. You just gotta make sure that you do the speed limit during the test." Avalon said and Malia nodded slightly before going a little faster.

"Speaking of doing things only during the test, you also don't have to hold the wheel like that if you're not being monitored." Avalon said before reaching over to grab Malia's hand and pull it down lower on the wheel, "Put your hand here like this." She said. Malia looked at Avalon for a moment as Avalon sat back and smiled at her. "More comfortable, right?" She asked and Malia smiled softly before nodding.

Malia looked back out at the road before her smile fell and her hands went up to the top of the wheel, gripping it tightly. Malia started to press her foot down the the gas making Avalon look over to see her go from fifty to nearly eighty. "Dont get me wrong, speeding down an empty road can be fun but I would wait until you have more experience." Avalon said, glancing at Malia who didn't acknowledge her, "Malia, you okay?" Avalon asked but Malia didn't say anything but went faster.

"Hey, slow down. Malia, stop! Stop the car! Malia, stop the car!" Avalon yelled and Malia finally hit the breaks, skidding to a stop before getting out of the car. Avalon quickly pulled the parking brake before getting put. "Malia? Malia." She called out as Malia fell to her knees, breathing heavily.

Avalon ran over to her, grabbing Malia's arms before her eyes widened when there was a car coming directly at them. "Malia, come on! Get up. We gotta get up! Come on!" Avalon said before pulling Malia off to the side slightly. The two girls falling to the ground with Malia's back to Avalon's desk as the car drove past them, honking.

"It was her..." Malia said as she breathed heavily making Avalon look at her, "What?" Avalon asked. "It was her... She was there..." Malia said making Avalon furrow her brows, "Who?" She asked as Malia leaned her head on Avalon's chest.

"The Desert Wolf..."