33.00

"SO YOU'VE ONLY HAD one boyfriend before me?" Luke questions, locking and dropping and re-locking our hands together. His disbelief had yet to wear off, even though it had been ten minutes since we ended our game of twenty (it was more than twenty; it was always more than twenty every time we played that game) questions. 

     "Yeah, and then there was Alaric, the first kiss thief. But I don't think he counts as a boyfriend." I mumble absentmindedly, eyes struggling to stay open as I lie comfortably on Luke's chest. It was morning, but that didn't mean I felt any more well rested than I did last night. Luke and I had spent the night talking and keeping each other awake in the event that Lucy would need one of us in the middle of the night. She didn't, but we stayed up the entire time just in case.

     "And what am I?" Luke responds, grinning down at me.

      "You're the book thief." His grin falls and he swallows, nodding somewhat solemnly.

        "Who is also your second boyfriend." I suppose he feels the need to remind me of what else he is, since the words to leave his mouth sound slightly like he has taken offense.

     "Yeah. Also that." I agree, pulling my hand away from his and lying it on my stomach. I was beginning to wonder why he didn't like the topic of my story and by default, why he had yet to return it. The tomorrow he spoke of last night was here and with it, I thought my story would be too. But Luke seemed off and like returning it was the last thing that he wanted to do. Before I can press the issue anymore, he changes the subject.

     "I have to go to the police station and turn in the recording on my phone. Lu slept all night which is great, but, I don't want to wait too long and give John time to save his ass. Do you want to go with me?" He says softly, fingertips lightly grazing my skin. "Afterwards, we could do that whole locking your parents in a room thing we talked about last night."

     "Okay, sure. But are you going to tell her that you're not allowed to do it anonymously? That they have to do tests on her and-

     "I'm going to try and see if I can make this go away without getting her too involved. If I can't, then I'll tell her, alright?" I nod, sitting up as Luke does the same.

     Last night we had discussed the more than likely situation that the police would request how Luke came about the given information, and who John was talking about in the recording. Lucy wanted the situation to be dealt with as quietly as possible, but what she and Luke failed to realize was that the police probably wouldn't let that happen. For her sake, I really hoped that they would.

      Luke and I quickly slip out of his room and go downstairs, where the early hours of the morning allow us to be undetected by any members of his family. My mom already knew that I had stayed at Lucy's for the night, so she wouldn't be a problem either.

     We head into his car and while he drives towards the police station, he grows visibly nervous.

     "So...your story is not where I left it but I'm gonna find it, okay?" Luke says quietly after a while, gnawing on his bottom lip while he drums his fingers against the steering wheel. With one sentence, he has managed to completely obliterate any and all happiness residing within me at that given moment.

   "What do you mean it's not where you left it?" I growl, looking at him incredulously. How could he have lost it? How could he have possibly lost it when he knew how important it was to me?

     "It's not that it's lost it's just-" He starts, trying to reason with me as I grow increasingly ballistic in the passenger seat of his truck.