34.00

INSTANTLY, LUKE IS BOMBARDED by police officers, asking him a gazillion questions and pulling him every which way. One of them looks at me and starts to ask if I am the victim, before Luke shuts them down. 

        "Not either of us, my sister." Luke explains, swallowing hard. "I have evidence on my phone as well."

        "Please come with me, sir." A man says, nodding towards Luke and leaning over to pull a folder out of a nearby desk. "If you could just sit outside and wait until we're done with him, we'll take your statement next." He explains, gesturing towards the chair propped outside of his office. 

        Even though I wasn't planning on making a statement and had only come with Luke for moral support, I nod.

         The entire time that Luke makes his statement in the room I sit outside of, I stare at the clock. I listen to the numbers being yelled into walkie talkies serving as codes I can't understand, the rattle of handcuffs, the ticking of the clock, and my own thoughts on a loop. As of late, my thoughts consisted of my parents, my story, getting into college, and how I was still lying to Lucy. Needless to say, thoughts were my least favorite thing to listen to.

     It takes half an hour for them to finish and when they do, Luke comes out looking both very frustrated, and exhausted. "If you have evidence and the name of the person who did it, why do you need a trial?" 

       "Because the evidence was acquired without the assailant knowing about it. Also, you won't provide us with the name of the victim other than saying that it's your sister. You can't just give us selective information, you know that, right? For us to take this to trial, we need the name of the victim, the name of the person making the statement --ergo you--, and your phone to be given in until the trial is over so that we can take the evidence."

      "Like I said," Luke repeats in a harder voice, tongue pressing into his cheek. "Why do you need a trial?"

      "Because that's the way the law works." The man says before pausing, tilting his head. "Say, have you visited the old age home around here recently?"

      "No, I haven't." He lies easily, anger making his exquisite lying even better. The police officer in front of us wasn't the Danny DeVito look alike that had chased us that night, which meant that he wasn't alone. But it didn't matter, there was no evidence to trace us back to that night other than the police officers and their foggy memory. It was dark, our features were indistinguishable, and we were safe. I was at least certain of that much. "But maybe you need to be checked into one since you think knowing someone's name is more important than putting a rap.ist behind bars," He growls. 

     "Look, kid, you need to calm down. If you give me your sister's name, we can get this guy arrested." The officer starts, holding his hands out in front of him as he tries to reason with Luke.

       "She doesn't want me to give you her name, and if I give you mine, then it won't take you long to figure out hers. If you take anonymous statements, why can't you take this one?"

      "Alright, alright; I'll take it." He sighs, finally agreeing. "But if the Chief says we need a name when I present this to her, then we need a name. Got it?" Luke nods, exhaling as he draws his phone from his pocket and hands it over to the cop. 

       After Luke's phone is taken in as evidence, it is my turn to make my statement. It only takes me ten minutes in the room with the police officer, and that's probably because he had already gotten all that he needed from Luke, my statement was identical to his, and I didn't argue with him like I'm sure Luke did.