39.00

"NOW WE DON'T KNOW if they're getting separated or divorced, or if this was just a little fight or whatever." Lucy explains, her constant need to crane her neck to look at me giving her hairdresser a hard time.

She was currently getting her black highlights redone, and I was sprawled out on the couch waiting for her to finish. It was an unspoken rule that I always came to the salon with her, because she couldn't stand being alone and, well, everything was always more fun when we together anyways.

"What I heard sounded like your mom was pretty pissed but I don't know if it's divorce worthy." I tell her, relocating to another couch so that she doesn't have to move as much to look at me.

"Oh, yes, because my father is such a great man to stay married to. God, it's like she has no sense when it comes to him." She grumbles, teeth gritting as much to her hairdresser's disapproval, she shakes her head.

"Lucy please stop shaking your head, you're going to rip the foi-" Her stylist starts, growing frustrated.

"I got it." Lucy interrupts, holding up her hand. "I mean, aren't your children supposed to come first?"

"Yeah, usually, but, I'm sure in his own way he loves all of you, and your mom sees that, so, she doesn't want to leave him. Or she's scared." I say quietly, pulling my legs closer to my body. Lucy nods solemnly, and looks like she wants to drop the topic, so we do.

Very briefly, we discuss John's upcoming sentence and after about fifteen seconds, I can tell she wants to move on from that, too. So we talk about Trinity and Brown and that we'll need to go prom shopping soon and that I should get a dress similar to the ones Luke got me for the banquet (she had raided my closet and found both of them, so I explained where the extravagant dresses I would never buy for myself came from, and she decided that we had been dating way before we actually said we were). Three minutes into me trying and failing for the last time to get her to come to the All Time Low concert with Luke and I, Lucy gets pulled away so that her hair can be washed, now that the black had set in.

I of course wanted Ashton to come, I would be thrilled if he came, but, Lucy had the best friend right, so I tried to get her to come first. However now that she claimed again and again that she didn't like their music very much, it was decided that Ashton would definitely be the holder of the third ticket. I only hoped that he and Luke wouldn't kill each other by the end of it.

I text Ashton the good news but he doesn't answer -not yet, at least- because he's in a music theory class and won't be out for another half hour and after that, I reread The Bell Jar for the umpteenth time while I wait for Lucy's hair to be finished. In the middle of reading, my phone buzzes, and I quickly unlock it to respond.

LUKE: hey why don't you play sports or anything? it's supposed to look good for college

COHEN: well because i'm athletically impaired and can't play sports to save my life

LUKE: hmm okay well i'm with calum and we're watching the girls play tennis while we wait for the field to clear to play soccer and i think you would look nice in the uniform (smirk emoji)

COHEN: oh gee thanks sweetheart it's reassuring to know that you're thinking about me even when there's other girls at your disposal in short tennis skirts and tight shirts that show off their boobs :) :) :)

LUKE: i'm always thinking about you shut up

LUKE: also for some reason i like when you call me that