Viral, Carla, and Maxwell

"Are you alright?" Max mumbled softly when Carla finally crawled into their clubhouse. It was really just a hidden room inside the castle that the three had claimed. 

   "I'm fine." She huffed crossing her arms.

   Viral knew that was a lie. "Is it James?"

   "Grandfather?" Max blinked lightly. 

   Viral frowned immediately hearing his brother say that. He didn't like James at all but he couldn't think of a real reason why. 

   "Yeah... Dad is scared of him. I've never seen him... scared before." Carla muttered. "I don't like it..."

   Max frowned lightly. "But he was the king?"

   "So was Uncle Charlie and you know what he did... no offense." Viral added the last bit turning to Carla. 

   "None taken." Carla hummed. "I dunno... Something doesn't feel right about him..."

   Viral understood that... Something was off about James. It felt... familiar... In a bad way.

   "Aunt Rachel is hosting a banquet to welcome them back," Max changed the subject. He was always a little soft. He liked to see the best in people. 

   Viral sighed sparring his brother. He could talk to father about his worries later... "That sounds nice."

   Carla side-glanced at Viral and sighed leaning back. She didn't like the way Vi babied Max sometimes. Max was the older brother! He knows the Omniverse history. He should know better...

   Max would never admit it... but Grandpa James gave him the creeps as well. But he had no way to prove anything so he didn't want to point out any false accusations. He trusted Vi and Carla... but they were different than him...

   Vi noticed the tension still building. "I liked Grandma..."

   Max beamed instantly. "Me too! She was so pretty and she seemed so nice! Dad was so happy to see her!"

   Even Carla seemed to relax at that. "That's true. My dad was named after her and so was I. She is pretty."

   Vi sighed listening to the other two chat about Charlene. He tuned them out and went to his own thoughts. Something else was in the code... something like him...