Ashley

A/N: I will be putting her outfits in the chapter images like the one above unless I feel there is a better image for the chapter.

Ashley's P.O.V

Tick tock, tick tock

I watched the clock, counting down the final seconds to the last bell, signalling the beginning of summer. Not only is this my last class for the year, but also my last class of high school. And honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing after this. I haven't even decided where I'd like to go to university, nevertheless if I even wanted to go, or if I wanted to take a year off, or if I just wanted to get straight to work. I'm so thankful my mum understood, she said she'd be by my side no matter what I chose.

Finally, the bell rang. I swung my backpack over one shoulder and headed out the door. The halls were filled with students and teachers going all directions, and there was a happy buzz through the air, everyone was excitedly discussing their summer plans, and where life was going to take them after this, especially my classmates. They were excited to see what the future holds for them.

Heading through the parking lot, I dig through my bag for my car keys. Once I reached my white Jeep, I unlocked it and opened the driver door, tossing my book bag into the back seat. Before I could turn the ignition, my phone rang.

"Hey, mum, what's going on?" I said once I answered the phone.

"Oh nothing sweetheart, just figuring out the last few details for your graduation party tomorrow. Are you still going to the zoo?" She said. I could hear running water and the soft clink of dishes in the background.

"Yes, I'm about to head there now. I'd like to see the animals and do some sketches. I haven't been able to see them all week since I've been so busy with finals," I replied, glancing at my sketchbook and pencils in the passenger seat.

"Okay. I haven't talked to Terri yet, so if you see her or the kids, let them know to come around 3:30 tomorrow to help me finish setting up for your party."

"Sounds good mum. I'll see ya this evening," I said, hanging up the phone.

I started the Jeep and began my drive to the zoo, thinking of how much it felt like a second home to me. I moved to Australia with my parents when I was a baby. My dad was from here and had moved to America to work at the San Diego Zoo, that's where he met Mum. But we moved back when a friend of my dad's, Steve Irwin, passed away and my parents wanted to help Terri with the zoo. So I grew up with the Irwins as my second family, Bindi and Robert being like the siblings I never had. And then several years after Steve passed, so did my dad, in a motorcycle accident. The Irwins were there for Mum and me like we were for them when Steve passed. And now, Bindi is married with her own little baby, and Robert is so much like his dad and taking over the croc shows at the zoo. With Mum and I being so close to the Irwins, we help out at the zoo whenever we can.

Luckily my school wasn't that far of a drive, and I made it to the zoo within 20 minutes. My mum and I also lived right down the road from the zoo, which was really just a five-minute walk. Terri helped my parents get the place built when we moved here.

I pulled up to the back entrance of the zoo, putting the vehicle in park and cutting the engine. Another perk of being so close with the Irwins, we got practically unlimited, behind the scenes access to the zoo pretty much whenever we wanted. I grabbed my sketchbook and pencils and hopped out of my Jeep, locking it as I approached the "employees only" entrance.

I walked through the wildlife hospital, saying "g'day" to the staff and being greeted in return. All of the staff know mum and me fairly well since we're here helping out so much. Once I exited the building, I stood still for a minute with my eyes closed, breathing in the scents of the zoo and thinking about which animals to see first.