Robert

I got up a little bit after 8 am and got ready for my usual day at the zoo. I put on my khakis and went downstairs, where I could smell a good brekkie cooking.

"Well there you are," mum said, loading up plates with bacon, eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, and toast

"Well, good morning to you too," I laughed. 

"What are you doing today?" Mum asked as we sat down and started eating. 

"Bird training with Ashley in the morning. I don't know about the afternoon yet, wherever I'm needed, I suppose."

"How is Ashley doing with the birds? Do you think she'd be ready to start helping with the croc shows after Christmas?"

"Yeah, I'd reckon so. Maybe she could even help with the Christmas Eve show? She's a natural with animals. Today is more of practising their commands with her so they get used to her and know she's the one to go to."

"Well, don't underestimate the birds either. They're incredibly intelligent, you know. And I think her helping with the Christmas Eve show is a wonderful idea."

"I know, mum. And thank you, I'm sure she'll be excited to be a part of the show."

We finished our meal and mum put the dishes in the dishwasher. 

"I'm going to walk over and pick Ashley up, and we'll head to the zoo together," I said, getting up from the table. 

"Okay. I'll probably see you here and there throughout the day. Love you," mum said, giving me a hug. 

"Love you too, mum," I said, hugging back. 

I left through the back door and walked over to Ashley's house. Going up the steps, I could see her sitting at the dining table by herself through the big windows that overlooked the deck. I opened the back door and walked in. 

"G'day!" I said cheerfully.

"Oh, good morning!" She said happily. 

"Are you alright? Did your mum and Cait and Elaine leave already?" 

"Mum just left, and I think Cait and Elaine left before I got up."

"You didn't answer the first part of that," I pointed out, pulling out a chair and sitting with her.

"Hm? Oh, yeah, I'm alright. Just thinking."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's probably nothing. But it just seems like lately, I haven't had much time to sit and talk or hang out with my mum. I know she's busy with work, and I know she took on a lot after my dad passed. I think she kind of used that as a way to help cope with it. And I know I've been busy too since school got out, and I've been doing stuff at the zoo and hanging out with you and Cait. I just don't want to grow too far apart from my mum. We were a pretty tight-knit family before my dad passed, like yours, except I never had any siblings. And it just feels like since he passed, mum and I are growing apart a bit. I know she loves me and all that, I'm not worried about that kind of stuff. I just want to spend some time with her, you know?"

"Yeah, I can understand you feeling that way. But like you said, I'm sure it's just her being busy with work and you helping out at the zoo more too. If you need to not hang out with me for a day and spend some time with her, you're more than welcome to. Just let me know. I won't overwhelm you or get in between you and your mum's relationship, or anything else."

"I know, Robert, and I appreciate that. But I don't think you're the problem. I think it's just her and I both being busy in general. Maybe I can talk to her about it and she and I can spend a day together doing mom-and-daughter stuff soon. I did tell her about our idea for animal painting classes and she seemed excited about it, and wanted to know how it goes whenever we talk to your mum about it."