Ashley

I woke up the next morning to my alarm going off at 7:30, I wanted to get to the zoo to feed Rose and help Robert out a bit before we had to come back to set up for my party.

I got out of bed, throwing on a plain grey shirt, a pair of jeans, and some work boots. I ran a brush through my hair and grabbed my mini backpack purse before going downstairs. My mum was already up, sitting at the kitchen table going over the list of party preparations, making sure we've got all the food and things we need.

"Morning mum, I'm going to walk down to the zoo and feed the new baby koala. Terri let me name her! I chose Rose for her name," I said, grabbing a granola bar out of a cupboard.

"Oh, how sweet! That's fine dear, just try to be back by 2:30 so you can shower and help me set up," She said, setting her reading glasses down on the table.

"No problem mum, love you!" And with a kiss on her cheek, I was out the back door walking towards to zoo.

The summer sun beat down on me, making me wish today was a beach day and not the graduation party. To be honest, I would rather be at the beach today than in a room full of people. Yes, it's all people I love, but the beach is my second favourite place, right after the zoo. Plus, Robert said he would teach me to surf this summer. I've always wanted to surf and I think this summer would be the best time to learn, and I know Robert would be the perfect teacher. He has more patience than most people I've known.

I reached the zoo and made my way straight to the wildlife hospital, looking for Doctor Sam. I finally found her, examining a tortoise.

"Hey, Doc! Where's little Rose?" I asked, approaching her. She worked delicately with the animal, doing a simple check with another staff member watching.

"G'day Ash! Bindi has her in the break room, her food is all ready for you too," she replied, not taking her eyes off the tortoise's shell as she checked it.

"Sweet as, thank you!" I called as I walked out of the room. I was excited to feed baby Rose for the first time, and it wouldn't be bad to spend some time with Bindi this morning either.

I walked into the break room to see Bindi holding sweet Rose snuggled in a blanket with a small heating pack. Bindi was smiling and cooing at her, a bottle of food supplement sat on the table.

"There she is!" I cooed, approaching Bindi and pulling a chair closer to her.

"Good morning love! You ready to feed her?" Bindi asked, handing the bundle of blanket and baby koala to me.

"Oh, am I!" I said, taking the bundle from her and positioning myself in the chair so I would be comfortable.

"Here you go, love. Just feed her like you would a little kitten or even a baby," She said, handing me the bottle as well.

"Speaking of which, where is Grace?"

"Oh, mum has her this morning! She's showing her off around the zoo." Bindi beamed with pride, you could just feel the love for her little girl radiating off of her.

"Oh, how precious!"

"You excited about your party? Robert said you invited a few friends of yours"

"Oh definitely! And yes, I invited Jackson and Chloe, both from school," I fed Rose as a spoke, speaking softly as not to disturb the precious baby.

"Ooh! Jackson? Who's he?"

I giggled, blushing slightly. "Robert and I had been friends with him for a few years. He's a year younger than me in school but he's kind of cute."

"Oh! Do you think he likes you?"

"I honestly have no idea. Guys say we are the complicated ones, but they don't tell us anything!" I joked.