Robert

After I walked Ashley partway to her house, I went to the zoo. I knew it would calm me down and give me something to do to keep my mind from worrying about Ashley and what possibly could've been waiting for her at her house. It's funny how feeding literal dinosaurs didn't worry me, but Ashley having to partake in a family meeting did. 

I had seen Mum and Bindi here and there throughout the day and I told both of them that Ashley had a family thing to deal with, and they seemed to understand, so they didn't pry. I appreciated that about Mum and Bindi- they were always there for me to talk to, but they never pushed or forced me to. 

Ashley was the same, but sometimes she forced me but in a good way. She was a force of nature, and it was impossible to stand in her path and not expect to be moved. 

I finished checking over the croc enclosures, the whole time hoping that I would look over and there Ashley would be. Or that my phone would start ringing and it would be her, wanting to come to me for comfort after the day she's had. I found comfort in being her comfort.

It was getting close to the sun going down, and since I wasn't expected to be at the zoo today, I could leave whenever I wanted. Well, being that I technically owned the zoo I could always leave whenever I wanted. And now I wanted to leave.

So I did, walking home. I stopped at the fork in the path, glancing in the direction of Ashley's house. I considered going over there to check on her, but I knew that if things were really bad and if she really needed me she would call me. I didn't want to possibly overwhelm her or interrupt things or make anything worse for her, especially with the way her mum yelled at her on the phone. 

So, with a sad sigh, I turned and continued walking home. I considered if I should tell Mum about Ashley's mum's drinking, thinking maybe Mum could convince her to get help or something. I knew that if worse came to worse, Ashley was always welcome at my house, and my Mum would agree without a second thought. But it shouldn't have to come to that. Her Mum should know better and should be able to see that Ashley is struggling too. 

I shook my head, realising that I may not fully understand it because I am not in her mum's position, or even hers. The most I could do from my point of view was to be there and try to listen whenever Ashley wanted to talk. 

I got home and took a shower. I didn't get too dirty today, but I knew I probably had a bit of an animal smell to me, and showers always helped me think and chill out a bit. 

I was just stepping out of the shower when I realised my phone was ringing. I didn't see who it was before it stopped, so I went ahead with drying myself off. 

My phone rang again, and I looked over to realise it was Ashley. Shit shit shit  I thought what if she had been trying to call the whole time I was in the shower? 

I quickly answered the call, putting it on speaker as soon as possible.

"Hey, love. How did your family meeting go?" I asked, slipping on a pair of boxers and then towel-drying my hair a bit. 

"What are you doing?" Ashley asked. She almost seemed annoyed, but I knew her well enough to know that it wasn't directed towards me, it was just a side effect of what happened with her family.

That can't be good, I thought, noticing she dodged my question. It was never a good sign when she did. 

"I just got out of the shower, so if you called multiple times I'm sorry I didn't answer," I said, thinking maybe she was asking what I was doing because of me not answering her. 

"I'm outside. Hurry up," She said, hanging up immediately after. 

I scrambled to get dressed, leaving my hair partially wet. I sent Mum a text as I made my way downstairs, just letting her know Ashley wanted to talk and that I'd text her if I needed to stay with her tonight or anything.