Chapter 11: Vormir

Previously:

"Five years ago, we lost. All of us. We lost friends. We lost family. We lost a part of ourselves. Today we have a chance to take it all back. You know your teams, you know your missions. Get the stones. Get them back. One Round trip each. No mistakes. No do overs. Most of us are going somewhere we know. That doesn't mean we should know what to expect. Be careful. Look out for each other. This is the fight of our lives. And we're gonna win. Whatever it takes. Good luck."

Once everyone was set up and ready, I looked at Steve, and smiled.

"See you in a minute."

The machine engaged and we were sent into the Quantum Realm.

-----------------------------------

POV: Nat

We approached the planet and I watched as Y/N's face paled. Her nightmares had come true. We were here on Vormir. I pulled her into my arms in an attempt to stop her from shaking.

"Wow... under different circumstances, this would be totally awesome." Lila spoke up from where she was standing.

"You just stick close to us and keep your weapon at the ready." I arched my eyebrow at the teen.

The ship landed and the three of us made our way up the mountain. It seemed like every step slowed Y/N further. At one point, she stopped entirely before she spun around to face away from us. She threw up, her body rolling with the force of the sickness. She had been dealing with a stomach bug for a week now. I was getting concerned at this point. I went to her side, rubbing her back gently.

"Still the stomach bug?" I asked softly, and she nodded. Once everything was out of her stomach, we continued on. As we approached the summit of the cliff, Y/N seemed to be struggling with each step. I looked at her, wanting only to protect her with everything in me. "It's going to be ok." I put my hand on her cheek. "I will protect you."

"You remember you made that promise?" She asked, leaning into my hand. "Don't jump."

"I promise I won't."

"I bet the raccoon didn't have to climb a mountain." Lila said, trying to create a better mood.

"Technically he's not a raccoon." I countered, with an amused voice.

"Oh whatever, he eats garbage." Y/N agreed with Lila.

"Welcome." a voice spoke up, causing us all to draw our weapons. "Natasha, Daughter of Ivan. Lila, Daughter of Clint, Y/N, Daughter of Daniel..." There was hesitation at the end of the speech. 

I was shocked, I didn't know my father's name, and Y/N knew that. She looked at me and I nodded softly. A figure became visible, his hood up over his head.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"Consider me a guide, to you and to all who seek the Soul Stone."

"Oh good. You tell us where it is, then we'll be on our way."

The figure began to speak what sounded like German for a few seconds, before switching languages. As he came into the light, I spotted his red skull under his hood. Steve had told me stories about his time in the Army and fighting this man, or who this man once was.

"If only it were that easy." He led us over to the edge of the cliff. "What you seek lies in front of you. As does what you fear."

"The stone's down there." I answered.

"For one of you. For the other... In order to take the stone you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange. A soul for a soul."

I sat down on a rock and began to think, as I watched Y/N drop to her knees. She seemed to be thinking the same thing I was. Lila however, seemed to think there was a trick to it.