fourteen

Eyes burning and heavy

Eyes burning and heavy. I managed to escape home this morning without facing my father and lucky for me Toby was hanging out at Mrs. Peters today so I didn't have to walk him to daycare. I did however walk to school, dreaded it mainly but knew Michael wasn't going to be there. He was suspended and I was happy for that. At least for now.

"Y/N, Jesus Christ. I thought you were dead!" Kat's voice exclaimed causing me to jump. I turn towards her and see her eyes widen as she takes a step back. "What the hell? Girl are you okay?"

"F...Fine," I spoke for the first time coughing a bit to clear my throat. Kat's eyes glance back and forth between my eyes.

"Okay um, what happened yesterday? Also why weren't you in first bell?"

"Oh I was late," I respond, shutting the locker as we began walking. I grab the straps of my book bag tightly as we walked, following the sea of students.

"Late? You missed all of first bell. Were you in your other bells?" I nod my head up and down to her question as we round the corner. "Hm? So okay. What happened yesterday then? There was mention of a fight between you and-"

"Michael," I whisper and stop walking spotting Michael walking into Ms. Debnam-Carey's classroom with his friends. Kat stops walking and turns to me tilting her head, eyeing me curiously.

"What are you doing? Come on," Kat said walking over to me but I stepped back shaking my head from side to side.

"I um- He's supposed to be suspended," I say, my voice low and cracking staring at the door. Kat looked over her shoulder to the classroom then back to me.

"He's been here all day. I thought you guys were giving detention."

I shake my head from side to side, looking around swiftly. Almost everyone was getting out of the hallway and I sink my teeth into my bottom lip feeling uneasy. My body begins to shake and I look back at Kat slowly backing up.

"Um-"

"Y/N? You okay?" Kat took a step forward and I nodded.

"Im going to the nurse. Just tell Ms. Debnam-Carey I felt sick." Kat eyes me curiously but also concerned but I don't give her time to question it. I turn around swiftly and quickly walk away from her just as the bell rings and echoes quickly throughout the hall. I jump and tense sinking my teeth deeper into my lip glancing over my shoulder. Kat was just walking into Alycia's classroom and talking with someone in the doorway. My eyes widen when she steps back and Alycia sticks out her head, looking down the hall at me. I see her lips separate but I quickly look back around and take a Swift left.

My breathes are uneven. My body shakes as I get to the front office. I did fill ill, sick. But I tried pushing it all down as I walked through the open office door.

"Can I help you?" The front lady asked as I walked up, feeling tears threaten my eyes. But I blinked repeatedly to keep them down.

"I need to speak to someone about a class change, please," I said, fairly quickly looking anywhere but the woman's eyes.