thirty-four

The bell rings causing me to pick up my head from my journal

The bell rings causing me to pick up my head from my journal. My mind was fuming, my wheels turning rapidly as I stand packing everything up. I slide my book bag on and head out of the class heading to my last period. Today had been weird. Well not till Alycia's class. She kept looking at me. Never said anything . But I never did look at her. I couldn't after my conversation with my father last night.

My head turns away from the tv hearing the door open. I glance over my shoulder, over the couch to my father as he walks in. He slips his jacket off and hangs it up allowing me to turn back around grabbing the remote and turning the tv off. As soon as I do I hear my father clear his throat walking into the living room and taking a seat beside me on the couch. I turn my attention to him and raise a brow waiting patiently for him to speak.

"Mrs. Peters gave me a description of the woman that was here in the backyard with you-" my father pauses and I stay silent as he goes on. "The only person who came to mind was Ms. Debnam-Carey."

"Dad-"

"Now why would your teacher be here on a Saturday? Why would you two be arguing and both of you crying in my backyard? Then it hits me that the way you two act around one another, the way she took you to the hospital , cared for..." My father lets his voice trail after having cut me off. I sink my teeth into my bottom lip shaking my my head as my father turns his head away from me closing his eyes. "Are you two sleeping together?"

"What? No! Dad-"

He stands up from the couch abruptly catching me off guard. He walks away from the couch placing his hands on his hips shaking his head. Our eyes lock and he was angry. Furious.

"Don't lie to me! I know I've let you off easy due to your mother dying but this is a serious-"

"Let me off easy because of mom passing?" I cut him off and stand up from the catch shaking my head from side to side. "You act like the accident was my fault? I've come to terms with it! But you're so quick to judge with me and my relations with people like Michael! Ever since then you act like me getting raped was my fault!"

"I have not!"

"You have dad! The little comments! The constant looks of judgement! I'm not fucking blind! I'm not my brother!"

"Yeah but you are your mother!" My father shouts causing my head to tilt to the side and my eyes to squint processing what he had just said.

"Excuse me? What's that supposed to mean?" I clench my jaw, my eyes flicking back and forth between his as he shakes his head. He takes a step back dropping his head as I take a step forward. "No, tell me! What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you and your mother are the same Y/N! You look the same and you two act the same!" My father raises his voice and I stare at him blankly. "But that doesn't matter right now. What matters is why you and that teacher-"